Beginning chain (filet)?????

Lollie2639

Question

Hi:yay

I have a so-called easy pattern:hook to try as my first project in filet crochet. Its just the diagram and below it it states "33 wide x 34 high"......How do I get started with my beginning chain?????? Can anyone help?:think

Thanks so much

CrochetRN

9 answers to this question

I think you may need some help in reading the chart. Here's a good site to start with http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa050298.htmSome patterns use 3dc for a filled mesh and some use 4dc...it would depend on your pattern, but this site should certainly help.

the pattern should state how many chains you have to do
tweety is exactly right, each pattern i different and should tell you the number you need. if ya run into problems let me know as i will try and help:manyheart

I have done them in 5 dc's on sides, and 2 in the spaces, it does depend on the pattern, and how you like the look of your style of crochet. I hardly ever find a pattern that I do not take the base pattern, and turn it into mine own. I change it according to my taste and style of crochet.

There is a formula for the beginning chain and it depends on the block size. Count the number of blocks that make up the piece.

The most common filet is done with a 3dc. 1. Number of Blocks X 3 +1 will create the base chain. If you have 10 blocks this would be (10X3) +1 or chain 31. 2. For an open space (mesh) chain 5. This is the first dc and chain 2. 3. dc in 8th chain from the hook. First mesh has been made. 4. For a beginning block chain 3 and dc in 4th chain from hook, dc in next 3 chain.

The thing to remember is that the +1 is like a foundation on one side of your work. You can't have a mesh if it doesn't have a wall.

I--I--I--I--I

IIII--I--IIII

Hope this helps out. I am a filet fanatic.

Just make a L-O-N-G-G-G-G-G chain:hook and work back along it as far as you want to. :hook

Then cut the spare CH back to about 6 and gently un-pick the excess.

Works for me.

The pattern should at least have a ST explanation so you know that each space is CH1 and each block is made of 2DC, one into the top of the DC in the last row and one into the SP.

Without actually seeing the pattern it is a bit hard to help.

Hope you have got going on it.

Have fun.:hug

Colleen

Archived