Help Please!!

tiffer93

But I just can't seem to master crocheting with beads on wire! I have used 26 gauge all the way to 32 gauge and cannot for the life of me figure out how to hold the wire and crochet with it!! :think I get how to add the beads to it, but for some reason I can't get any "stitches", instead I get these AWFUL loops that have smashed edges. Nothing like some of the beautiful items I have seen, even by beginners. Anyone have a special technique that they could share? I believe that the way you hold the wire has more to do with it than anything. Also, what do you do to keep the wire from kinking up as it comes off of the spool? I've tried putting it in a container, but that doesn't seem to help any either. Would you wonderful ladies & lads help me understand what I am doing wrong? Maybe some pictures would help me "grasp" (pun intended!!) the concept!

~Tiffany~ - desperate to crochet with wire!! :cry:thair

No one has any suggestions? *Sniffle* Well, okie doke, guess I'll continue to try and try again till I get it right.

I have never done it so I can't help you that way. But if you go down two posts to "Wire bead crochet" go to post 2 there is a link there that may help you. It's from 2005 but the link still works. Good luck!

• 4 months later...

I used to crochet a lot of bead jewelry but I used a heavy thread that looked like dental floss..so it acted like crochet cotton. It worked up easily. I have some very thin wire on a spool that you use for beading. I wonder if you could crochet with it? I think you are going to figure this out!!! Just keep trying!!! :manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe these tips will help. Always use metal hooks when working with wire. Also, wire has a built-in curvature from being wound on the spool. Try to work with that curvature.

Also, you may have to adjust how you feed the wire to the hook. Once a bend gets put into wire, it doesn't really come out, so methods of holding the wire that bend it a lot are bad.

Have you tried changing your crochet hook :hook size. I would play around with going up in sizes or down in sizes and see what you get. Like I said play around with it changing :hook crochet hooks and see what you see looks good and then get out the real stuff and beads and crochet :crocheting away.

Let us know how it goes if the changing the hooks works for you.

Archived