Question about the "H" Hook

Sometime ago, in college, I crocheted and had several hooks. Misplaced them and got out of the crochet habit. About two years ago, I started again, and had to get more hooks and things, since I still couldn't find my other hooks.

I found them yesterday. And, I was putting them together with my new ones, I noticed that I have two of several. The H hooks, though, appear to be different sizes-- the older one is bigger than the newer one. What happened? And which am I supposed to use? Are the newer ones better than the older ones? Both are aluminum, but different colors. I assume that there is some reason for this (size, not color), but durned if I know what it is, so I thought I'd ask y'all.

The other hooks all seem to be the same size-- the dupes, that is. It's just the H that is odd. Help?!

Are they made by different manufactures. I know Boye hooks and Susan Bates hooks vary in some sizes for the same letters. Though according to my chart of different hooks the H hooks should both be a 5 mm size hook. in both those brands.

odd question, "how big of a difference in size is it??". and could the size letter be being misread?? like an "I" might could look like an "h" if its stamped on differently (did that make sense?? its late, brain tired) :).

Sandy

About the only way you can tell if there is a difference is to make a gauge swatch from each hook with the same type of thread.

Some hooks may look diffrent in shape and size but will basically make the same size stitch.

Archived