What to do?

Ok, I went to a little shop in town today that had some yarn in a basket that was on sale and bought some of course. There was some really pretty yarn in the basket. One in particular (that I'm now proud owner of) is Silk and the colors are SOOOO BEAUTIFUL and it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOFT!!!! I fell in love with this yarn the minute I touched it. I think there's about 150 yards of it. It cost about $11.25 (more than I've EVER paid for a skein of yarn) but it was so worth it. I've never fell in love with a skein of yarn until today. Yikers. Sounds weird huh?

Anywho, any ideas of what I could make with it. It's fingering weight (probably good with and "E" or "F" crochet hook). I just want to make sure I find the perfect project for it. It's so totally amazing.

Ok, Enough said. I've gotta go and pet it again "good little yarn. Sit, Stay. Good yarn!! Awww, what a cutie". lol

Thanks in advance for your ideas!!

Julee

Your new yarn sounds so lovely! :c9

I am surprised the yarn shop owner has not

banned me from petting the yarn yet. :lol

Project :think perhaps a pair of fingerless gloves?

I do not know if 150 yards would be enough,

but maybe with a comlimentary yarn worked

for the cuffs?

Julee, how about a cowl of some sort that doesn't take much yarn and this being so soft, would be nice up close to your neck :)

What to do .......

First, you come here to the 'ville and BRAG about your find so we can all rejoice with you!

Then I like the cowl idea so such yummy softness can be arond your neck.

If there is too small an amount it might make a lovely edging for a shawl that way you can pet it while you wear the shawl. Like the satin edge on a blankie.

Oooh, I like all your ideas but I think that knit wrist warmers or an edging (maybe a lacey scarf..hmmmm........) might do it. There really isn't very much and it's fingering weight so it's not very big.

Thanks for your suggestions!! Keep 'Em Coming!!

Julee

That's one thing I'm not really sure of. It just had one of those white hang tags on it. I think, to be more specific, it's corn silk. I wish there would have been a regular tag on it. I would have loved to find out some specifics about it (Ya know, the retail price and such).

Julee

What color is it? I opt for something you can wear often, like a shawl. That way you can use it year round.

The colors are a little darker than pastel (it's a multi colored yarn).

Hmm, I wish there was enough for a shawl. I think I might have to opt for a lacy scarf (knit or crochet). Maybe knit. I've really been into knitting quite a bit lately.

Julee

I don't yet. I should have got one before my dad helped me roll it into a ball (my dad is the only one in our family who has the skill and patience to help me with winding hanks into pull out skeins or balls).

I'll get one later and post it tomorrow!!

Julee

There's a new book out there that could help you get an idea of what to make with your new yarn. It's called "Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders" edited by Judith Durant.

It has both knitting and crochet patterns that take just one skein of yarn.

Check at your library for this book. I bet you will find something to make.

:manyheart

Ooo, thanks for that great suggestion!! I'm gonna have to see if our library has it. In the past year or so they've finally started getting newer and better crochet books in!!

Thanks again!!

Julee

I've also seen great little button up cowls so that you don't really have to have enough to slip over your head, but can have a great little neck warmer. Don't have a pattern, but I'm sure one could be modified. Of course, I like the wrist warmer idea too. My sister has a pair a friend's mom knit for her that actually point up her hand and have a little ring to go around her middle finger, kind of like a wedding glove. Hers are made of gray silk/mohair with a little beading on the edges and are kind of fuzzy and SO soft! If she didn't keep them hidden, I'd steal them from her!

Hi! Last November I bought this kit from a catalog. It had silk thread and the pattern for a heart shaped afghan. Oh, it was the softest and and the most wonderful thread to work with. Oh! Enjoy the wonderful find. And the cowl sounds so great.

Archived