Those Key Lime Socks :-}

darski

A while back, Annie's free pattern of the day was the delectable Key Lime Socks. Many of us who got that freebie thought that a CAL might be fun so I am trying to get this going.

The pattern is still available for sale at E patterns

http://www.e-patternscentral.com/detail.html?prod_id=4726&cat_id=446&criteria=

I am going to post the picture under fair use terms. I am also encouraging others to go to the site so I think it is ok to show a pic.

keylime.jpg

I have to admit that I have not yet read the pattern carefully and I know I will not be using the yarn they suggest. I might make mine in a Christmas red that is just as bright as this Key lime colour.

Anyhoo.. The Cal has begun and anyone who wants in at any time is welcome to join.

So choose your weapon (aka yarn and hooks) and let's have at it

:clap:clap:clap

I am using RH comfort Sport yarn with that 3.75mm hook. The colour is a very bright red but they don't use names any more. it's colour 4302.

I think this is just a tad thicker than a light DK weight. I'm not entirely sure what a DK weight would be as I use WW almost exclusively.

I can get DK weight yarn--that's what I'd use--but I don't have time for this one right now. I *really* want to make these, though, so I'll be keeping an eye out here. I don't like 100% acrylic for socks, though--it wears out too fast--so I'll have to get the yarn soon or the wool blends will be gone from the shelves for summer.

I'm in!:clap I'm using a "baby" yarn...either Bernat Softee Baby, or Sweet Delights (Yarn Bee...Hobby Lobby brand)...I forget which. It's white with color "dots" in it. very girlie and pretty.

(fyi, I'm up to the heel...and got stuck...it's NOT the kind I'm used to, done after the rest of the sock is done...it looks like it's written to be similar to knit...some I'm hoping someone joins who's done some knit socks and can help me make sense of it)

I'll post px soon (but not today) :P

I can get DK weight yarn--that's what I'd use--but I don't have time for this one right now. I *really* want to make these, though, so I'll be keeping an eye out here. I don't like 100% acrylic for socks, though--it wears out too fast--so I'll have to get the yarn soon or the wool blends will be gone from the shelves for summer.

If I get this sock figured out in the acrylic I'm using...especially the heel, I'm going to find some cottonblend or bamboo blend sock yarn (saving a piece of tax $) and do it right! :P

:lurk

I'll be back soon... I did want to stop by to subscribe to this thread.

A few weeks ago, my mom gave me this Annie's Attic book called "You Can Crochet Socks" with a pattern for KEY LIME SOCKS in it!

well, there's Karma for ya! :rofl

Welcome to our participants and our lurkers. This is just about trying a pattern and having some fun.

if these work, I will have bed socks so the wear-ability is not a major issue.

I have barely started the starting foundation chain :wlol

s'ok darski, I started early, needing a waiting project a couple weeks ago...but then I put it away till this. :D

thanks for getting it started :D

aw, what the hey, I'm on now...here's my picture of sock in progress.

you can see where I tried to tighten my gauge, to see if the sock would look more solid. (all it did was bunch in a bit) But when I put my hand in, you can't really tell, so I'm not going to bother to frog.. I really want to master this heel. (oh ya, I checked, it's a Sweet Delights by Yarn Bee. love the color flecks, and the way the seem to add a hint of color beyond just the fleck. :)

P3031355.jpg

and the stitch pattern does tend to twist, it seems to me, probably because it's worked in the round.

so yes, it's supposed to look kinda hole-y, and tightening the gauge doesn't solve that. :D

now about that heel. (grrrr)

Hmmm. Maybe if it's that tricky, I should just do a test sock in whatever yarn before I try to make a pair for real.

I love making socks, but I so don't have time to do this right now. I just WANT to.

the main stitch isn't hard at all! it's the heel that's got me stumped. but I've never knitted socks. if I had, maybe the instructions would make more sense. or maybe there's just an error in the st counts. If no one figures it out, it wouldn't be too hard to change it to an "after-thought heel", really. I'll keep messing with it this week and see what happens :P

bonk forehead moment. I took these socks to work today, and stared at the instructions for another 5 solid minutes! Then went, "hmmm, if this is what they mean, then this should work!" Gave it a try, and TaDa it worked.

I figured with it in sc, the heel shouldn't be hard. As it turned out, I had the wrong mental picture. I had one idea in my head of how I thought it was going to go, and the instructions didn't fit that.

What you are creating is like a box with a floor and 3 sides (top and front cut off, but the sides are rounded) if that makes sense. So all the instructions and st counts are correct! (yay!) Make the 2" heel "flap", then in the heel turn and gusset parts you WILL have "wings"...but what you're doing with the decreases is attaching the gusset (bottom of heel) to the wings (sides of heel) I'll take pictures on my second sock--didn't take my camera to work) if anyone is still confused...or even more confused--by my explanation.

HTH

and yes, it is actually pretty easy :blush

Pictures monday...I hope :P

Here are pictures of the heel. I finished it up over the weekend.

Finished sock pictures to come soon :yay

P3071370.jpg Here's the "Heel" according to directions... So far so good

P3071373.jpgYou should have something like this when you get to the end of Row 2 (for the first time) on Turn Heel.

P3071375.jpg Ok, you can kinda see what Row 2 of "Turn Heel" is doing here. I found that the decrease had to be in "same st as last sc and next st of last row of "Heel"...otherwise the flat part of the heel gets smaller and smaller, and your counts will be off for the rest of it. (not next sc and in next sc on last row of heel, as written)

P3071378.jpg Here you can sort of see the heel "cup" that the "heel" and "Turn Heel" instructions are should create.

P3071379.jpgFinished with all Gusset steps, ready to go on with the foot.

Really not hard at all...but I know visuals can make a huge difference, so I hope this helps if anyone else gets stuck. I knew it was worth working to figure it out! I like this heel method better than the after-thought kind :)

Thank you so much for those pics. It will make a big difference when I get there.

Now that I have a bunch of WIPs completed I can put some real time into this project.

Ok, I am doing something very wrong it seems. I started again, (again) and my socks do not look like the picture. My stitches are spiraling rather than lining up in nice rows. In addition, my top of the cuff is bigger than the continuing rows of stitches. I am on my 5th round and it just is not what I expected. I may be over my head and probably not really caring at this point. :sigh

hey, Darski-

that doesn't sound like you at all.... are you ok?

You can do it! :cheer:clap I have faith in you!!!:hug

You were so excited for your "bed-socks"... I don't think I have ever seen you frustrated...

Momcrochet's rows looked twisted, too. I think it's cause they are in the round. I usually modify "in the round" patterns for that reason. If you join with the slip stitch, then chain and go up (without the turn) it always seems to stay straighter for me... the trick is that you have to keep counting the whole time to make sure you don't add any stitches to the new round... does that make sense?

well... please know that I am routing for you... maybe I will put down what I got going and try this out with you. Let me know if you want "company" for coffee and crocheting this week, and I am there! :manyheart

They do twist/turn somewhat...I agree with LeaAnne, I think it's b/c of working in the round. They look a bit straighter on the foot than the ankle...and my first round was way loose too, b/c of the foundation sc methinks. But after that round/two, it leveled off, so to speak, and didn't shrink any further...maybe for your foundation sc, go down a hook? Just a thot, don't know if it will work on these or not...but it's the reverse of what I try when my foundation chain is too tight :P. HTH

How's everyone else doing? Looking forward to px! :D

Archived