Granny Square Afghan Q?

I'm planning on attempting my first Granny Square Afghan in the near future to help use up some yarn I have sitting around. I've never done one before and have been looking online for square patterns. One thing I am noticing is that there are tons of square patterns out there, but that is it. The patterns end with you completing the square, and don't really tell you how many you may need to make an afghan or what to do with them. I've seen on here that you can pretty much connect them in tons of ways so I think I can figure that out, but the question still stands...

About how many squares make an afghan? I do realize it depends on the size of the square and the size of afghan you are doing. Is there a basic or average afghan size?

Is there a guide out there for square size vs afghan size with you need x number of them? :think

Most of what you are asking is that age old.. "It Depends" answer.

When you say you are planning to make a granny square ghan do you mean the traditional crazy granny where you do the last round of each square with black or the same colour? If that, you can make your squares any size you want based on rows. (remember those weave ins though - they will bite you fer shure)

If you plan to make 12 inch squares it makes it easy to decide your number of squares as you just make 4 foot by 6 foot afghans or a 3X4 foot lapghan.

There is no set size to speak of... only general guidelines. For instance.. I like to make lapghans that are 3 feet by 4 feet. That would be 36 by 48 inches. I am doing the charity squares for Feb. this weekend and my squares are 7 inches. That means that my base afghan will be 35 in by 49 inches. I am fine with that and the border will make everything nice in the end.

if you look at various afghan patterns, you will get general guidelines for afghan sizes but in the end you should go with what serves your purposes. if you are taller or shorter, be ready to adapt.

Yeah I knew when posting that there wasn't a one way answer. Gotta love that, but I deal with that in the cake decorating world as well. I have learned what works for one doesn't always work for others.

I have three colors of yarns that look good together, as I have used them together in the past. I've got one skein of a purple, one skein of a variegated blue/purple and then many skeins of a light blue. I really only want to use one for this project since I already have finished one dark/light blue afghan and another one with the same colors in progress.

My thoughts were to make the squares with one color in the middle and white around that color, so all of the outer parts of the squares will be white and I'll put it together with white.

I asked about size because I am short, but I don't really have a plan of the finish project yet. I'm sure I will give it to someone, so going by my height probably isn't the best idea. I'll keep the 4x6 foot in mind. Right now I'm planning on doing 6in squares.

Thanks so much for the reply to my 'it depends' question. :)

I usually make 10 inch squares. I put 5 across and 7 down. This makes a nice size. My favorite square to use is the never ending blanket square. I turn each row to the back each time so it looks the same on both sides with valleys up and down. Otherwise, your square will be flat on one side. You can find this square here and make it any size you want. It is great for leftover yarn. http://debscrafts55.blogspot.com/2007/12/never-ending-blanket-square.html

It is so easy, that once you make one, you won't need the pattern directions but you will know just what to do!! :manyheart

I just am finishing a crib size afghan that is one granny rectangle. I like it a lot, and would do the pattern again.

Joining squares is NOT my favorite part of making something, so I tend to prefer fewer but larger squares to projects made with 'saltines' the term the ladies here use for tiny cracker size squares that they make en masse to make beautiful afghans. I just don't have the patience to assemble them.

Thank you TexasRedHead for the link. It is a pretty square. There are sooooooo many squares out there, how does one ever pick them? :)

Kathy, I've read many of times about the connecting them, especially in the motif thread. I'm trying not to let it cloud my judgment on it until I do it. I have done one afghan in strips that were connected later, but my mom was nice enough to whip stitch them as I finished the strips.

I've been afraid to do the squares because at first I wasn't sure my crocheting was even. Sometimes I would do it tighter than others and I didn't want a bunch of squares that didn't match up in the end. At some point we have to get over our fears and just do it, right?

Archived