Talk to me about Ravelry

I didn't even know they had a forum until I read this thread! :lol

I never filled out the profile. I was only on ravelry for ME and I already knew all that stuff about me. Filling in your profile only benefits somebody else.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote=HomekeepingGran;1625803} The first thing I saw when filling out my profile was "Fave curse word". Huh?

Well, like Crochetvile, Ravelry is owned by people who who pay for the bandwidth, etc. themselves. They can include whatever they want. Like Craw said, many people don't fill it out. I didn't fill mine out when I joined Crochetville in 2005, either.

I just assumed that question was the difference between 20-something hip Jess and Casey and 40-something, decidedly un-hip Patty. I don't think it's inappropriate or disgusting, just silly. And I didn't fill it in, either. No worse than asking how many children I have (none, thank you, and frankly why is no one's business, and even if I had some, I certainly wouldn't define myself by how many I had, which I find far more prying into my personal life). A better question: how many hooks/needles do you own, or will you 'fess up to owning your own yarn swift? I'm sure some people here found the tattoo thread or the prayer threads or the threads on people's health issues in OT not something they are interested in or perhaps even offended by.

But then, I thought the discussion over how some people were disgusted by photos of people's feet for their avatar was silly, too.

It is, of course, up to you whether you find it appropriate and useful for you, or not. Clearly many of us find that Crochetville, Ravelry, and/or searching exhuastively on the Internet for individual topics/items all work for our individual needs. That doesn't make it 'bad' or 'disgusting,' just not useful for you. For which, as the Seinfeld gang used to say, there's nothing wrong with that.

Patty

I love Ravelry because of the free patterns, the ability to organize my projects, and find out what yarns work well for different projects. I'm partial to the 'ville because of YOU.....this is the friendliest place on the 'net!!!!!

Juli from Texas

I posted several times in this thread:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1573523#post1573523

You can use Ravelry any which way you want. You don't have to do it exactly like everyone else to make it your own. It's a huge resource not to mention all the special interest groups you can join to discuss other things besides yarn or you can do a crochet a long based on your favorite movie or book or whatever.

One of my favorite things is to see a project I am doing or thinking about doing, how many ways other people have done and the colorways they have choosen.

I agree completely! I use the organizational tools, find lots of wonderful patterns, and love to see the creativity in yarn selection, colors, and adjustments folks have made to patterns I'm interested in. Definitely worth it :yes

I agree completely! I use the organizational tools, find lots of wonderful patterns, and love to see the creativity in yarn selection, colors, and adjustments folks have made to patterns I'm interested in. Definitely worth it :yes

Isn't it amazing what designs people can come up with. Wish I was so talented. Really some beautiful things there. Altho most of the patterns that I try are from the people right here on Crochetville

Altho most of the patterns that I try are from the people right here on Crochetville

:) That might be true for me too but I'm not very good at recognising names.

One big advantage for me is the ease of browsing/searching other people's stuff - here on C/ville I don't see any alternative to wading through pages of Show and Tell, whereas over at Ravelry it's very easy to narrow down.

1. No solicitation: Please do not use Crochetville services (including PMs and email) for the purpose of soliciting our members for any reason. This includes, but is not limited to: offers to sell goods or services, offers of business opportunities, requests to join another site/group/email list, requests to sign petitions, requests to participate in chain letter schemes, asking for donations of money or other goods, etc.

I just find this a very interesting rule. what purpose does it serve?

I love Ravelry. I found my crochet/knit group on there and we meet very close to home. Usually other groups I have found are across town from me and I have no desire to drive that far on a weeknight. I have made some wonderful ladies on there that I can call friends...one even teaches at the high school my son went to.

If I need help on something, there is always someone that can help me. There is even a Crochetville group on there. Why not sign up, have a look around and see if you like it or not? There are groups for different professions (attorneys), animal lovers (cats and dogs, dachshunds). If you like debates, there are some of those groups, too. Although a lot of groups are mostly for knitters but hey, you will find crochet groups.

Give it a whirl.

I have just recently found Ravelry and I love it. I can take pictures of my completed works and add notes with the changes I have made, if any. I have tried to manually keep lists of items I have made with notes of changes and all. I end up losing the notebook or something happens to it with kids in the house. This happens to anything I try to keep in folders or notebooks, and I don't have to worry if my computer crashes and I lose everything saved there too. Ravelry keeps everything organized and I can't lose that list and everything is in the same place. I am trying to talk my mom into setting up an account, or I will do it for her. This way we can put all of our yarn in and we can "shop" from each others stashes.

I have found lately that a lot of the patterns I like call for some yarn that I have never heard of and is not available anywhere around here and it takes out some of the guess work for me if I can search other projects and see if someone made it with another type of yarn than what is called for and how it worked out. I like looking through the completed projects and see what others have done and changes that have been made before I waste time and money making something that does not come out like the picture.

I knit and crochet, but I am better with crochet. I like that both types of crafts are together and I can search for both or just one to find projects I like.

I just try to use it in moderation just like anything else online.

Archived