Can anyone relate to this?

Mel2nsluvsCrochet

Crocheting is a part of my life and thats all there is to it. Its a part of who I am. I would be one miserable B****H :devil if I didn't have this outlet. Not to mention the misery I would cause others because I wasn't happy and content.

Crocheting lets me create, Challenges me. To be able to take a piece of thread and a hook and make something not only useful but beautiful is a wonderful gift we are given.

I have ton of patterns, alot I will never use but I am inspired by the creativiy of the ones who created them and I gives me a sense of belonging. They are a little bit of history all in themselves. I love looking at how fashions have changed over the years and how we come back to them once again.

Our hooks, yarn/thread,and patterns are but a small price to pay for the sense of worth they give us. Where else can I get so much entainment for so little really. :think

To have a talent like this and not share your love/passion would be a shame. It is who you, me and everyone on this list is. It is an art form, passed on from generation to generation and a very useful one at that - Don't get me wrong - there is a place in this world for the Michaelangelo's in this world - but I don't want the Sistine chapel painted on my bedroom ceiling. However - I'm in heaven with a warm, snuggly blanket made though an exchange or on my own, using a pattern or creating something on my own.

To the husbands out there who feel that booklets, and yarns, and hooks are are useless things - think of the nuts and bolts, nails, and screws in the garage in old baby food jars or coffee cans, and the power tools or if you are into a craft - think of the items that you need for whatever craft you are into (Mine in particular is into restoring vintage vehicles)- would you consider that junk?? I think not.

--OK I'll get off my soap box.

-Dawn

We may all have different reasons for crocheting, but as long as it's something that's meaningful to us, what other people think about it doesn't matter.

Crochet has always been there for me to keep me sane. I can't explain it, but sometimes I get so much peace of mind when I'm working on a project. It is one of the few things besides my family that can help lift my spirits when I am having a particularly bad bout of depression.

For me that's an inspiring story Mel! :hug I understand a bit about your hubby being jealous of the time and energy you spend crocheting. And your dear daughter being so appreciative of that afghan that you so lovingly and patiently made for her. I'm sure that your husband will be very proud when he sees an afghan made especially for him.:manyheart

I've crocheted through the years and the best memories I have of it is when I was crocheting different toy animals and my little son so eager to play with it and that glow in his eyes when he sees it finished! :c9

Thank you Mimi:hug You know, my husband's mother (she passed away in November 2000) used to crochet and knit. But she was also a busy mother, having 8 kids and she always found time to crochet. I think my husband picked up his feelings from his father. Isn't that strange? I feel that at times, if I don't have something to crochet, I am empty and bored. I feel that Winnie (dh's mother) felt like she was happier when she was working with yarn. I never did get to meet her, but I know she is probably working on something right now:manyheart Kathy, I agree with you :devil , Dawn you're right....can you imaging crocheting a replica of the sistine chapel in an afghan????. Thank you for your imput Catana, and topperarnold, I understand completely about depression! Some days, I can't even get dressed I am so depressed but just as long as I have a crochet hook and something to make, it makes my day. Hang in there!:hug to everyone!

Melannie

My husband is smart enough to realize that anything that makes Wifey happy will work in his favor in some way. He might not get an afghan out of it (well, he will if I ever finish the blasted thing!), and perhaps not even anything overt...But a calm, happy spouse contributes in no small manner to a calm, happy house.

At first my men in my life (all five of them) were annoyed with me crocheting. See the problem is I just can't sit still. I have to be doing something - so I either read, crochet, or knit. Being that I think I have read every book out there that I have wanted to - I turned back to crochet about a year ago. Now the kids (both the big one and the little ones) have just accepted the fact that if I do sit down to watch a movie or TV show I will have a crochet project in tow. (Personally I think they were tired of hearing me snore 5 minutes into a movie):D

Each one of them received a blankie and scarf as xmas presents and have placed orders for next year - yes I think they finally turned the corner on thinking my craft was silly or useless. Plus I have managed to get the little guys to help with craft fairs (when I attend them) and other little things. They always reap the benefits of my hobbie - we are taking our trip to Maine with money I saved from taking orders and making projects on commission. So I'm fairly certain that they will think twice about voicing any opinion for at least a year ;)

-Dawn

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a little *ahem* obsessive about my crafts.

When I was able to look at a pattern and it finally clicked in my mind how it was supposed to work, there was no stopping me.

At first, my husband seemed a little disgruntled and irritated by the piles of yarn and loose patterns that were accumulating around the house. Then he saw the first project I ever finished from a pattern and the happiness it brought me and it was all over. He accepts my craft because it makes me happy and it's a wonderful creative outlet.

I suffer from depression on a pretty regular basis and when I pick up a hook, or needles, I feel better. I feel worthwhile, like I'm creating something that serves a purpose.

I think I can safely say that everyone who knows me knows that crafting is a huge part of my life and they respect that. It's part of what makes me me.

Archived