Quick & Easy Snowflake - 2009

busy-bee-lmt

I dreamed up this snowflake this afternoon. Writing the instructions down took longer than making it. I used a size 7 steel crochet hook and size 10 crochet thread. The one on the left is done with white wrapped with metallic silver. The one on the right is done with ivory thread. They are about 3 inches from point to point.

DCP_1550.jpg

Abbreviations:

Ch = chain

SC = single crochet

DC = double crochet

Sl St = slip stitch

RS = rice stitch

4 TC Cl = 4 triple crochet cluster

B 4 TC Cl = beginning 4 triple crochet cluster

Special Stitch Instructions:

Beginning 4 triple crochet cluster: Chain 3, work 3 triple crochet stitches in same space leaving the last loop of each triple crochet stitch on the hook, thread over and pull through all 4 loops on the hook.

4 triple crochet cluster: Work 4 triple crochet stitches in same space leaving the last loop of each triple crochet stitch on the hook, thread over and pull through all 5 loops on the hook.

Rice stitch: Chain 4, work 2 double crochet stitches in 4th stitch from the hook keeping the last loop of each double stitch on the hook, thread over and pull through all 3 loops on the hook.

Snowflake Instructions:

Ch 6, join with a sl st to form a loop.

Round 1: Work B 4 TC Cl in loop, *ch5, work 4 TC Cl in loop*, repeat four more times, ending with ch 5 join with a sl st in top of B 4 TC Cl.

Round 2: Ch 1, sc in same st, *ch 6, sc in top of next 4 TC Cl *, repeat around ending with ch 6, sl st in 1st sc.

Round 3: Ch 1, sc in same st, * do 4 rs, dc between 1st & 2nd rs, do another rs, sc in next sc of previous round*, repeat around ending with a sl st in the 1st sc.

Fasten off thread. Starch and block by whatever method you prefer. Enjoy.

Looks cool, Linda!

I've wondered for awhile about rice stitch, can't wait to give it a try (but I will hold off until I put it on the list :lol)!

:yay Glad to see the new year is getting those creative juices flowing :manyheart.

Cheers,

I first ran into the rice stitch in a doily pattern of my grandmother's. I think the pattern had 9 of them in the outer row as well as a bunch of rows using groups of 2 rice stitches. It does give a very pretty effect.:)

• 3 months later...

Archived