Caron's Baby ABC Blanket

msmmom

[Have a silly question on this. Are the puffs worked on the right side or wrong side? If I do a puff and pull towards front of project, they seem kind of flat. If I do a puff and push towards back of project, they look good but then the pattern doesn't make sense. It comes out backwards! Help!!!

I am currently working on this afghan and the puff st. is on the right side. Sometimes you might have to give a little push to encourage them to stay in the front. One thing that helps me is when I am finishing each puff st, I try to work the next st as though I am working behind each puff st. (keeping my hook behind). Hope that makes sense.

RenniC is right ... the popcorn stitch is done on the right side. I've made two of these and they are a beautiful addition. One of them I added buttons and made 'straps' to which i added baby toys to. Kinda like a play mat for babies.

Mommies like pastels but babies LOVE bright colors. So I am making it in bold, bright colors. Bright Rose, lemon yellow, lime green, amethyst, bright orange and royal blue. Each row of squares across will be divided with a row of white popcorn st. and also along the edge.

Mommies like pastels but babies LOVE bright colors. So I am making it in bold, bright colors. Bright Rose, lemon yellow, lime green, amethyst, bright orange and royal blue. Each row of squares across will be divided with a row of white popcorn st. and also along the edge.

This is my all time favorite blanket to make! I would love to see a picture of yours when it is finished!

I've made 2. The first one I made in a lavender using RH WW and too large of a hook. The thing will work better as a lapghan for mom or a crawl rug. The other one is a light pastel green that's a sport weight (3 on the scale?). Used an F hook with it and it was much better. It's a fun thing to make.

Same as the others, I made sure the the SC that pulled the puff back to the row kind of went under the puff and I pulled it fairly securely. Every now and then, there's one that gets popped the other way but you just poke it back through.

I wonder, could you do each letter as a square then stitch them together using popcorns? Otherwise, how could you use white in between without getting all the yarn tangled?

The 1st one I made was all white. Then my DDIL asked if I would added some bright colors to the sides. We chose red, yellow, green and blue; one color on each side. It got to be large enough that it's almost like a rug in their family room! It's great, the grandkids have something to play on! The second one was also in white, but on each side I used a variegated yarn and different stitch on each side [for a 'feeling' experience]. As I said in my previous post I added buttons and made 'straps' to which i added baby toys to. Kinda like a play mat for babies.

Hi, One more question. Caron's Simply Soft packaging says to use Size H hook but the pattern says to use Size D. Does the make the puffs more compact and stiff? Should I use D or H? I started using a different yarn (Bernat Softee Baby) but I think it's too soft and is making the puffs a bit "weak". What do you think? Should I exchange the Bernat for the Caron? If so, what size hook should I use? Am I overthinking this :) ??

Thanks!!!

I always make a swatch to see what hook I get the best gauge with and to also decide how it "feels". I'm using RH SS and a Clover H hook. I prefer a tightness also where the puffs are. With the Simply Soft, you might try going down one size hook and see how you like the way it looks and feels. Keep us posted how you make out. :)

Hi, One more question. Caron's Simply Soft packaging says to use Size H hook but the pattern says to use Size D. Does the make the puffs more compact and stiff? Should I use D or H? I started using a different yarn (Bernat Softee Baby) but I think it's too soft and is making the puffs a bit "weak". What do you think? Should I exchange the Bernat for the Caron? If so, what size hook should I use? Am I overthinking this :) ?? Thanks!!!

I made one of these this summer, and half my puffs kept popping to the back (LOL). When I was done, I must have spent half an hour pushing them all through. It is a great blanket,and I'd love to see a multi-colored one. I want to do one with the vowels in a contrasting color. I never thought of the square lines in a different color; I bet that looks great! Patty

Here is a link to a pic of the pattern that is similar to what I am making. (ABC link)

ABC

OMG ~ that is beautiful!!! Did you use simply soft yarn? What size hook did you use? I never thought of changing colors like that but I sure will on my next one! It's AMAZING! :drool

I am currently making one with those colors but arranged just a tiny bit different. I am using RH SS and a clover H hook. When I make the puff stitches, I put just a little bit extra tension in them from the rest of the pattern and it seems to make the puff stitches stay in place better. When I am all finished I will wash and block, then probably push puff stitches out again- LOL!

OMG ~ that is beautiful!!! Did you use simply soft yarn? What size hook did you use? I never thought of changing colors like that but I sure will on my next one! It's AMAZING! :drool

I have made this blanket more times than I can count. After the first time, I made it with the puff stitches in the back loops only, so that they stay to the front side of the finished blanket.

I also added 4 chains to the starting chain, which adds two stitches on each end. On the row with the puffs, I did a sc and a puff stitch at the start and a puff stitch and sc at the end of those rows. This way all the puffs are worked in the same direction. I found that the puffs done for the edging looked funny because they laid sideways, compared to the ones in the letters and the sides of the blankets got all squished up. I think it makes the blanket look much nicer!

I have also used both a 3.75 hook and a 4 hook (not sure what letters those correspond to- sorry!) Either one works up to a nice size. Here is one of the many blankets I have made with this pattern. This one was made with hook 3.75, using TLC Baby yarn. I have also made it with the Bernat Softee, using the 3.75 hook.

th_IMG_4084.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Someone has posted a picture of the ABC blanket that won a prize at a fair. It was done in soft pastel colors. I loved it but now can't find the picture. If someone has it, can they send?

Thanks!

Lisa

• 2 years later...

Hi - Im new here - does anyone have a more simplified pattern for the ABC baby blanket? I've never done a project w/ different colors, nor have I had much luck w/ the puff stitch - the way it is described in the chart style pattern is different than what I have seen/done. Any help would be appreciated.

Also - what is the difference between the "right" and "wrong" sides? Sorry I just started crocheting last month - I've made several (easy) scarves and a beret that I LOVE!! but making a baby blanket is a big task - I want it to come out perfectly!! of course. :-) Thanks for any help.

Hey there!

How did your afghan come out? What type/brand of yarn did you use? I see you provided the colors - was it soft enough? Is there anything you would have changed in your approach?

Thanks!

I have made 4 of these blankets, and they were all done different, the first one i made i did in halfteble stitch instead of single crochet and i made the letters by doing 5 treble stitches with i think it is called a popcorn stitch, it was a nice bright pink dk .

I also made a buttermilk colour but i left out the squares and only did the letters, i also did one in various colours a bit like the one that has been posted , but i only did the rows of popcorn stitch across the blanket , i also made one in separate crocheted squares in an off white colour and then crocheted them together in blue .

i was thinking of making one with 2 strands of different colours , and when doing the popcorn stitch only using one strand , i will have to try it out .

Archived