types of yarn?

as some of you know, I am kinda new to crocheting after being gone for years. Alot seems to have changed since I learned so long ago. I just remember buying yarn at our local dime store. It was all acrylic worsted weight, 4 ply yarn. just different colors to choose from.

Well, yesterday I took my daughter to pick out a color to make a hat, and I was overwhelmed and confused at all the choices. She picked up yarns I had no idea what to do with, how it works up, what it is for....

Can someone please explain to me or show me a site that describes all the different types of yarn and what they are good for?

such as:

1. Cotton? what in the world? how do you crochet with this? what does it turn out like?

2. Wools? stiff, itchy??

3. silky?? tiny 3 ply, and too soft?

4. some of the fuzzy yarns?

5. soft and super soft? so does that mean regular WW is not soft?

Back in the day, there was yarn, and baby yarn. that's it!! now, I have no idea what to use or how to use it. :eek:think

not including the tiny threads with the tiny metal hooks. I learned on that, made doilies with it, but never went back once I crocheted with yarn.

this yarn virgin needs help!! :hook

When I started crocheting heavily again a couple of years ago I went through this same thing!

Lots of people use the cottons for making their own washcloths, I use them for summer clothing! They work up very easily and they're very soft and comfortable to wear.

The knitting worsted that we all know and love from days gone by is best for afghans and amigurumi projects. It's a bit harsh for clothing, unless you're talking about an outer sweater that you're going to wear a long sleeved shirt under it.

Baby yarns are pretty self explanatory, they haven't changed much in the last few years.

The very soft yarns are great for sweaters, scarves, etc., anything that is going to come into contact with skin, and especially with sensitive skin! And if you want to try something REALLY spectacular-feeling next to your skin, try the bamboo yarns!! OY! Do those feel BEAUTIFUL!!

The eyelash yarns are perfect for using for trims on things, and they're just custom made for making amigurumi animals! Teddy bears and other things that are supposed to be fuzzy are just adorable when you make them with eyelash yarn. The only problem is it's difficult to see your stitches, but eventually you get used to it and learn to feel your way.

Try them all! Have fun experimenting and learning what each one feels like!

Elle did a wonderful job explaining the different yarns.

Wool can be either superwashed, which means it does not shrink or it can be made for felting, which means that it will shrink. Felting is a process of using hot water, detergent, friction and patience in order to shrink the project to the desired size.

The bamboo yarns are coming out because bamboo is a renewable crop. The regular acrylics are made from oil, and with the oil shortages around the world, the bamboo, corn and other natural substances are being used in place of oil.

Some yarns can seem pretty expensive. Wait for sales at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, JoAnn's and other places. Good luck and try all the yarn you can.

:manyheart

1. Cotton? what in the world? how do you crochet with this? what does it turn out like?

2. Wools? stiff, itchy??

3. silky?? tiny 3 ply, and too soft?

4. some of the fuzzy yarns?

5. soft and super soft? so does that mean regular WW is not soft?

I think Elle and CLLinda hit the high points. :)

Cotton - frequently used for items such as dishclothes, washclothes, hotpads (acrylic can melt from the heat :eek), and some summer-wearables.

Wools - As said above, you've got superwash and regular. Superwash can often be washed and dried without felting so are easier to clean. Regular wool can be felted, which is popular right now for various things. From reading a plethora of online sites and books, I see there are a lot of people who feel that only real wools (or at least nothing synthetic) is the only way to go for sweaters and clothing in particular.

Silky - I'm not sure exactly which you're talking about.

Fuzzy yarns - Fuzzy yarns, ribbon yarns, just plain 'odd' yarns - these fall into the novelty yarn category. As said above they can be great for amuriguri, and trims. Some people use them to emulate fur for coats and such as well. Some novelty yarns can be hard to work with because you can't see the stitches, and carrying along another strand of regular yarn will solve that problem.

Soft and super soft - I believe these are typically acrylics. Most regular acrylics are absolutely wonderful for afghans, and even clothing for some people who don't mind that it's a bit 'rougher.' They tend to stand up for years and take a beating. Soft and super soft is more for wearables, where it's going to touch skin.

Just had to LAUGH at myself as I read this thread. Until I joined C'ville I was so intimidated by all the "different kinds of yarn" and had no clue what to use them for. Now I am venturing out of the world of "acrylics" every now and then. I usually work on a small project just to see how a yarn feels and works up. Then if I like it I will save up to buy enough yarn for something larger. Have fun checking out new yarns!!!!

A note on cottons, they come in a variety of thicknesses from thread to a size 3 (as thick as a worsted weight). They also come in natural or mercerized. Mercerized won't shrink, lose it's shape or bleed colors. Most of your threads are mercerized.

I have crocheted for almost 60 years now, and there seems to be new yarns every year.

So I think all of us are discovering new ones.

As for silky, I think of yarns that are shiny and smooth. But there is a yarn called "Silk" and yarns that are made from silk or silk blends.

Even when I don't need yarn, I love to check out the yarn in the stores. Look at and feel them, read the labels to see what they are made of, and the care instructions (washing, drying, storing). Even Brands that we are familiar with can change, due to dyes, processing, etc...

And something that appears simply scrumptious on the shelf, may not be appealing to you when worked up. So do experiment, touch (pet) and play with them all. What appeals to one may be ugly to another.

Have fun while you learn!!!

Archived