How to Do Your Hair with a Crochet Hook

just for fun...

How to Do Your Hair with a Crochet Hook

My mommy-in-law is always lauphing at me for doing this with my hair. :think

Im actually interested to see everyone elses ideas for using a crochet hook in their hair. Im sure you guys could come up with some cool ideas.....

I rarely use a crochet hook but have hairsticks which area quite similar to a long knitting needle. It goes up a little differently from the description in the link but yes, I do use the stick and nothing else for my long hair sometimes. Quick and effective. I used to have a small, steel hook in my hair paraphenalia drawer to slip under the layers and smooth out the top layer when I put my hair up, which is pretty much all the time. I don't know how it migrated from the drawer unless I needed that size. :hook

I don't have any new ideas, but I have very long hair, so I often twist it up and out of the way. I just put a barrette over it.

This time I put my I hook through it ~ and it's still holding 10 minutes later even though my hair is baby fine, and most clamps and other contraptions usually slide right out by now! I am amazed that my crochet hook is holding just fine!

Mine is baby fine, too, Real Deal. I found it had to be about a year's growth longer than the other women's before I could put it up the same way. It's long enough now that that is no longer an issue. Although I must say some styles still don't work. There is one called a Stickless Bun which uses no sticks, clips, hairpins — nothing. If your hair is relatively thick and isn't fine or slippery, you can do it. We finehairs have to pass on that one. :)

It's nice to have the option of hair sticks like the style anglalyn posted.

Crochet hooks, pencils, short knitting needles all work well. The problem is forgetting that that's what's in your hair and going out. When I was in college, my favorite pencil was usually in my hair. Crochet hooks do hold well.

I'm sure Jimbo could make some pretty hairdo holders.

I use old-fashioned hairpins for holding a bun in place when I leave the house.

I've done that before. I did that for a long time with a pen or pencil and then I always had my hooks around so I just started using them instead.

I do this all the time too, I usually use pencils or pens, I have used a hook once. The hook isn't pointy enough for my hair because its thick and the pens or pencils work a little better for me.Hmm maybe if I try Susan Bates hooks.....:hook lol

Interesting, Gran. Before I started making hooks, I made hairsticks. Fun to do and pretty easy too if you have a sharp knife, some sandpaper and access to some dry sticks.

Never thought of making some with chopsticks, but I'd bet the "Chophooks " that I make would work.

Interesting!! Thanks again Gran!

When my hair was long I'd fiddle with my hair sometimes and I'd crochet it! It never stayed but I bet if I had used some pins I could have crocheted my hair up. I could get it into a bunch of chains

Sadly, I cannot get it to work. Everytime I let go it falls apart :lol

Edit: I think I got it, but I'll need a lot more practice before it'll be of any use to me in my ceramics class unless I do it in front of the mirror before I head off. It's much more comfortable than a pony tail though. ;)

I thought I'd report back in and let you know how my first time went. That I hook stayed in place all night while I was on the computer. I was up and down getting coffee, eating, etc. but it stayed put. I was amazed! I'm converted to crochet hook hair holders!!!

I been thinkin. Wooden hooks can benefit from a little touch up once in awhile. My fave restoritive and sometimes initial hook finish is beeswax cause its easy to apply, leaves a protective finish and smells soooooo good. But the natural oils in hair might have a positive effect too.

I'd like to hear if anyone has experienced a little improved crochet performance from their "hair hooks".

Oh, and what would probably seriously take away from any advantage gained from natural oils would be hair spray.....

Archived