Still no sweater for Lola (dog sweater)...

Frazzled

After making a sweater for my friend's pup, and watching Lola (my pug and model) shivering the other morning, I set out to make her a sweater. It's similar to the red one, but I made it so that it would cover her tummy, which is practically nekkid...

Well, it turned out too big, because when doing the belly portion, I grabbed a bigger hook, and didn't even notice. It's the same color metal hook as the smaller one I did the rest of the sweater with! :think

Lola liked it, but it was a bit too big, so she gave it to her sister, Sophie! Sophie loves it, and it fits her perfectly! She loves that it doesn't bind or cut her off at all! Her mom (my sister) sent me these pics of Sophie in her sweater last night.

Here's Sophie in her new sweater...

l_f80990b13af141509d92025cb8b3e30e.jpgl_9d254f1a0d814dbbb2b0b790fd1420d6.jpg

Lola's new sweater is on the hook:crocheting, and should be finished by tonight... Poor little Lola...

That's so cute. My husband doesn't let me dress my dog. Of course we live in the desert and he's a husky he'd probably go crazy lol.

My husband always strips our dogs when I dress them. They're chihuahuas and it's getting cold here in KY! My "little girl" really hates clothes so I guess I have to cut dh a little slack.

I've been thinking about making my own dog sweaters too. I have two Teddy Roosevelt Terriers and can never find anything that fits "just right".

Koda, the male of the pair, is really barrel-chested so he's a tough one to fit. Things fit his back end really well, but have to get stretched across his chest- he looks miserable. Also, I have to make sure its not to long or baggy underneath or he pees on it when we go outside.

Maggies is a skinny girl, so everything I get her is too big or too short, length-wise.

I used to think people that dressed their dogs were ridiculous. But now that I watch my two pups shivering in the ever-chillying WI weather, I'm beginning to understand!

Thanks all! I love my pug. :) They don't get much of a winter coat, so the sweaters are a necessity! She's not dressed most of the time, just on trips outside...

I do not use patterns, and try it on as I go along. Pugs are very hard to fit for sweaters, with deep chests, heavy shoulders and necks, and in Lola's case, a thinner waistline! This sweater was too big because I used a larger hook on the underside, and Lola was outside playing, and I didn't try it on before I finished it off! Oh, well... Sophie needed a sweater too, and her mommy doesn't crochet!

Just as soon as I sign off here, I'll be working on Lola's very own sweater. :)

Thanks all! I love my pug. :) They don't get much of a winter coat, so the sweaters are a necessity! She's not dressed most of the time, just on trips outside...

I do not use patterns, and try it on as I go along. Pugs are very hard to fit for sweaters, with deep chests, heavy shoulders and necks, and in Lola's case, a thinner waistline! This sweater was too big because I used a larger hook on the underside, and Lola was outside playing, and I didn't try it on before I finished it off! Oh, well... Sophie needed a sweater too, and her mommy doesn't crochet!

Just as soon as I sign off here, I'll be working on Lola's very own sweater. :)

From a fellow pug lover:manyheart.....I think you did a wonderful job on the sweater, and yes, so true about being hard to fit! I look forward to seeing Lola in her new sweater.

Very cute. Love the pattern you are using. I like them without buttons or ties.

My husband is always asking me when I am going to make a new sweater for Daisy (2 1/2 pound chi).

So I make one new one every year. However the last one I made was done in homespone and it looks ratty already so need to make a new one.

I've been thinking about making my own dog sweaters too. I have two Teddy Roosevelt Terriers and can never find anything that fits "just right".

Koda, the male of the pair, is really barrel-chested so he's a tough one to fit. Things fit his back end really well, but have to get stretched across his chest- he looks miserable. Also, I have to make sure its not to long or baggy underneath or he pees on it when we go outside.

Maggies is a skinny girl, so everything I get her is too big or too short, length-wise.

I used to think people that dressed their dogs were ridiculous. But now that I watch my two pups shivering in the ever-chillying WI weather, I'm beginning to understand!

We have rat terriers, so I know your plight with the big chests and the longer bodies. I have been making sweaters to fit the chest then adding length by decreasing to get the fit right. Here's my Pagan in one sweater I made her- she's 12 lbs and store-bought mediums are always too big and smalls always too tight.

pigletcoat.jpg

And she loves her clothes. She is a very shy dog, but wearing a sweater around new people or animals she is very confident!

I really should write out that pattern.... (When I figure out how!)

We have rat terriers, so I know your plight with the big chests and the longer bodies. I have been making sweaters to fit the chest then adding length by decreasing to get the fit right. Here's my Pagan in one sweater I made her- she's 12 lbs and store-bought mediums are always too big and smalls always too tight.

pigletcoat.jpg

And she loves her clothes. She is a very shy dog, but wearing a sweater around new people or animals she is very confident!

I really should write out that pattern.... (When I figure out how!)

Thats fabulous! If you do write out that pattern, let me know. Maggies is 12 pounds as well- that would look so cute on her!!!

Archived