My New Student is Going to be Disappointed!

I taught my best friend and her daughters to crochet several years ago. Her daughter-in-law would now like to learn to crochet, so I offered to get together with all of her girls and teach another crochet class at her home.:hook

The DIL is sure that she will be able to make a scarf and mittens for her little girls by the end of the day! :eek I'm afraid she is setting herself up for a huge disappointment.

My friend has already explained that it's going to take time and practice to be able to actually make something like mittens and a scarf, but her DIL said she is a quick study.

I sure hope that this "class" doesn't turn out to be a disaster!

:lol Hope things turn out well...

I can see being able to make a simple scarf after one lesson (dc or sc rectangles aren't super hard, just take a while), but mittens? Nuh-uh...lol

First, as a moral lesson, pop in "Karate Kid." :lol You have to start at the bottom, or you'll just fall of the edge. I did learn to crochet a very young age and struggled big time with it for a while, but...

I did teach a friend of mine to crochet at the age of 20 or so and by the end of the day she could actually make a granny square. Oh the envy I felt. :lol (I'm full of laughs today.) A scarf is POSSIBLY a reasonable goal, with simple stitches, but there is just no way she's going to make mittens. If she does, I'll be the first to apologize.

Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way I guess. Good luck.. hope things don't get too frustrating. :crocheting

Yeah - I haven't even made mittens yet, although I've been reading patterns and making all sorts of items for many moons!

Actually, the granny square is an intriguing idea. I wonder if they'd be happy learning granny squares that they could sew together to make a scarf... Thanks, thepunkrockinchick!

I found a VERY simple pattern for child's mittens - if you can make a scarf, you can make this hat and mitten set - I think I found it on Bev's site - I'll do a quick search and see . . . . . just in case she made any promises . . . .

Here it is - I made these mittens for my grandson's last year and will again this year - very easy - I promise

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/wintergear.html

I've made those too and were very easy to make.

Carol:hook

I found a VERY simple pattern for child's mittens - if you can make a scarf, you can make this hat and mitten set - I think I found it on Bev's site - I'll do a quick search and see . . . . . just in case she made any promises . . . .

Here it is - I made these mittens for my grandson's last year and will again this year - very easy - I promise

She might be able to make a simple straight line scarf. That was the first thing I ever made. But the mittens might take longer. If she gets the scarf down though, then she might be interested in learning more because she feels like it'll take her somewhere. I took some lessons after I did the scarf though, because I was awful at everything else!!! With a little encouragement she'll get it.

Ok, I've saved this one and I may give it a shot - thanks!

Well, I went to my friend's house yesterday and taught her daughter how to single crochet. I thought it would be easiest. She is on her way to making a single crochet scarf, with fiesta yarn and a K hook. It's leaving stitches large enough to be easily seen by a novice, and it will make a pretty scarf with a "lacy" look. I think she did very well, picking it up. I left a pattern book with her that shows basic stitches in the back, so if she runs into trouble, she can refer to that. I think she'll do okay.

It's kind of funny how people perceive crochet and think it's easy.

But it does take practice so that your stitches look even and that your tension is right.

I taught a class at my school, and the boss could only figure out how to chain. It does give them a sense of how talented you are when they can't quite master what you are teaching.

:manyheart

Archived