Afghans for Sailors

angelfire

This group just started yesterday.. http://www.navyformoms.com/group/knitforthenavy As a Navy mom I would like to help them.

They requested small afghans for the troops on frigates as the bunks are so cold. I told them that I would bring the subject up here and I will keep in touch with them.

The group would like afghans in sizes from lapghan size to twin size, knit, crochet, or even fleece. They are trying to make a blanket for every member on board the ships.

This is going to be an ongoing project for as long as they continue to receive blankets.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Tristi, thank you for asking I will have to update the first post, sorry.

The ladies are requesting anything from lapghan size to twin bed size. Any manly color or pattern. I know we have female sailors but they may have a storage problem for them if we do female colors.

This project is calling me also as I live within an hour to two bases here in the Pacific Northwest. Waiting to hear tomorrow if I need surgery on my shoulder, if not, I'm in. If I need surgery, all the more reason to be in as I'm going to need therapy afterwards and what better way than to crochet though I may be slow. Will watch for updates.

This project is calling me also as I live within an hour to two bases here in the Pacific Northwest. Waiting to hear tomorrow if I need surgery on my shoulder, if not, I'm in. If I need surgery, all the more reason to be in as I'm going to need therapy afterwards and what better way than to crochet though I may be slow. Will watch for updates.

I hope that either way your recovery goes well. :hug

Ok then, I'm in. :yes

Thank you Cherri, I know you have so many projects. It is an honor to have you help.

I plan on helping with this as I can I have a couple of patterns I can adapt in size that are very warm.

Thank you for joining us,:yay as I have more info I will pass it on. I plan on starting one on Saturday.

Just sent you a PM!

Thank you for helping, answered your pm. :c9

I plan on helping with this. Hubby was Navy 18 years, and spent months at atime on cold ships. :yuck

I have to agree, my son hated being on board, and I am happy to help keep a sailor warm :hook

Ok, I've been thinking and planning. :yes Right now I'm torn between starting off with a quilt type afghan and a basketweave. Do you guys think a quiltghan would be warm enough? :think I haven't bought the yarn yet so I thought I'd ask your opinions first. Thanks in advance. :hug

My DH wanted a warm afghan with no holes, so I just made him one using a pattern of alternating DC with SC. On subsequent rows I DC 's in the SC's and vice versa. I don't know what this stitch pattern is called, but it makes a nice warm blanket. You can start off with a chain of desired width and make it as long as you want. It works up quickly and creates a nice texture.

My DH wanted a warm afghan with no holes, so I just made him one using a pattern of alternating DC with SC. On subsequent rows I DC 's in the SC's and vice versa. I don't know what this stitch pattern is called, but it makes a nice warm blanket. You can start off with a chain of desired width and make it as long as you want. It works up quickly and creates a nice texture.

Thank you so much for that info. :hugI'll definitely make a nice warm one with no holes. :yes

Ok, I've been thinking and planning. :yes Right now I'm torn between starting off with a quilt type afghan and a basketweave. Do you guys think a quiltghan would be warm enough? :think I haven't bought the yarn yet so I thought I'd ask your opinions first. Thanks in advance. :hug
Sounds great, I know my DGS wants one with no holes too.

I just finished a baby quilt ghan and I have to tell you IT WAS HEAVY. I think an adult sized one would be adequately warm and heavy. But I also know that the basketweave will be very warm as well.

Joyce

Here is the link to the alternating DC & SC stitch pattern for the "no holes" afghan.

http://crochet.about.com/library/n010102.htm

I use that stitch pattern a lot. I have made scarves, dishcloths, shawls and a baby ghan with it.

It does make a dense weave, so you may want to experiment with hook size.

Archived