Your opinion please

I'm having a craft show next Saturday (Nov. 1).

I am charging $1.25 for a simple dishcloth and $2.00 for a fancier one. For the hotpads, $2.00 each. For a baby afghan, $20, no matter what pattern or size. Scarves, $6.00 for a simple pattern, $8.00 for a fancier one.

Do those prices seem reasonable????? I'd really like your input. Don't want to charge so much the items don't sell, but don't want to cut myself short either.

Thanks everyone!!

I'm not really sure. It would depend on how much you spent on the materials and how much profit you want to make from it, but they sound ok to me. My MIL sells crocheted dishcloths for I think she said $2 each and they're just a simple sc on the diagonal square with a scalloped edging. They seem to sell really well for her at that price. I'm thinking about selling some crochet projects, but I have no clue what to charge so it would be interesting to see what others members think. Good luck with the craft show! :)

Your prices seem a bit low to me. I wouldn't take $1.25 for a dishcloth, unless perhaps the yarn had been free to me. $20 for a hand-made baby blanket seems very cheap to me, too. I know, I know--they probably won't sell unless you keep the prices very low right now, and in the end, the market rules. If you're happy to get those prices for your items, go for it.

I don't mean to sound rude or attacking in what I say here - I'm not replying directly to your question, but rather, sounding out my own thoughts on what people charge for handmade items these days.

I feel very strongly that the handmade community does a great disservice to themselves individually, and to other handmade artisans, when they sell their products for dirt cheap prices. It brings the craft - indeed the entire handmade community - down as a whole. It's like we're trying to undercut Walmart, or something, and it reduces our high quality, personal items, made with time and precision, with good solid materials, to a place of lower value than "made-in-China." It's time people's expectations be brought up rather than our prices brought down, because, guess what? Our handmade products are worth something; they are of immeasurably greater value than anything mass produced. They are worth not only their materials, their time, and their quality, and their uniqueness, they are worth the intangible quality of the thought, of the care, the concern, and the artistry that goes into each of our products.

Alot of my views on this subject have been formed since moving to Europe. I'm a US citizen living abroad in a rural part of the country of Wales (UK). The US society is driven by the discount lifestyle, but it is not a beautiful way to live by any means. I have discovered the beauty of buying from artisans skilled in their craft - not just craft items, but all items - bread from a local baker, goats cheese from the fella who raises the goats himself (amazing cheese)!, alpaca yarn from the lady who raises the sheep and then has her friend dye it with plants she grows herself. It's beautiful, and it's worth it. As is every lovingly, handcrafted piece of crochet, whether dishcloth or work of art.

In my personal opinion, I would rather sell none of my work, and even give it as gifts to friends or to the needy, knowing it will be valued in that capacity, then peddle it for pennies to a world that neither knows nor appreciates its value, and looks down their nose at it because they "can get it cheaper at Walmart."

Your prices are too low.

I recently paid someone to make facecloths (I was making them along with her) and I paid her $2 per facecloth plus I provided the cotton yarn.

I think your prices are a little low, too. I saw scarves for $10 at a craft show last week and I know similar items were $15 last year. I recently made baby afghans for my sister to give as gifts. They were about 36" by 33" granny rectangles. Fast and easy to whip up with yarn from my stash. I charged her $20 each and told her she was getting the deep family discount.

I have never been to a craft show before, but the compared to the prices I have seen them quote, I agree that your prices are a bit low too. I think you could go a little higher, Your time and work is worth way more than 1.25 for a dishcloth.

Kilikina said it well! Don't undersell yourself. At $1.25 for a dishcloth you're not even making back what you spent on the yarn. A little ball of Sugar 'n Cream is about a $1.50 around here, and I only get one cloth out of a ball, there isn't enough left for a second - so I'd be coming out in the hole selling them for $1.25.

I honestly think all your prices are too low. The time you put into making things has value too.

Archived