Who's the fastest crocheter?

If you want to see fast crocheting, you'll have to find a video of Lisa Gentry (who I think is a member here, somewhere...I know she's on Ravelry)

Lily Chin was NEVER the fastest crocheter in the world. She was only given that title when she was at a yarn or crochet/knitting event somewhere, and they had a contest and she won. The organizer of the event declared her the fastest crocheter in the world. At the time, the fastest crocheter was Barbara Jean Sonntag, who set the record in 1981. She held the title until Lisa Gentry broke the record in 2005.

http://www.hookandneedledesigns.com/fastest_crocheter.htm

I saw video of Lisa and Lily having a "crochet-off", and Lily was a snail compared to Lisa. Lily only crocheted 82 stitches to Lisa's 107.

http://fashiondesigners.suite101.com/article.cfm/lisa_gentry

Just wondering, was the time that you saw, the time that Lisa Gentry broke her record?...because I thought she did 170 stitches per min.

Here is a video clip of Lisa. Enjoy!

That was fun :D... :welcome Lisa, so what are you teaching??? I don't see a class in the list with your name yet, but I notice a 2009 teacher badge on your header :devil...

Cheers,

That's a very interesting question. My mother (besides myself) is the only person I know personally that crochets.. other than my MIL who I've never witnessed crochet. ;) I can crochet really fast, but I seem to get so little accomplished, because I don't have much time to do so. My mother on the other hand crochets at a steady pace, doesn't mark her stitches, and gets an insane amount done. She lives with me as a stay at home grandma (or Mom-Mom). She watches my son when I work, but at night she gets lots of time to herself. I'll wake up and she's crocheted like 20 fridgies! :lol Or tons of dishcloths, etc. It's funny, because before I had my son and even when I was pregnant, I didn't have much desire to crochet. However, when every moment to myself became sacred, I started crocheting like a mad woman.

About the different titles: Lily was holding the CYCA "World Fastest Crocheter" title to February 2007. I'm holding the title for "Guinness World Record Fastest Crocheter" since 2005 and the CYCA "Fastest Crocheter & Knitter" title since February 2007.

The love of crocheting is more important than speed!

Archived