I Love This Yarn~~but the price??

MyGirlFriday

Tonight my daughter and I went to our local Hobby Lobby to pick up a couple of skeins of ILTY for a baby blanket I am working on.

My daughter noticed that there were several price stickers on each skein....this is from the constant price changes!

I know when I purchased a while back I paid like $1.99 a skein, then just a week or so ago I noticed it was $2.22 a skein...but the regular price is now $2.79 a skein!

I really do love this yarn but the price keeps going up and up! I think it is worth it because I love to work with this yarn but good golly it is the store brand yarn!!

Anyone else have any comments on this one???

I just might have to write a letter to Hobby Lobby~

mgf~:yay

When the yarn first came out it was 1.99 a skein. Then it went to 2.49, and now it is 2.79. 2 price hikes in less than a year. When you saw it for 2.22, it was on sale. But it is still cheaper than Vanna's yarn and most other soft acrylic yarn.

Not only did the price go up, but the quality went down. Yes, it is still very soft, but the newer yarn and colors don't hold up as well as the original yarn did. The newer yarn pills and fuzzes up with normal use.

I am using up the rest of my stash of it, then won't buy anymore unless the quality goes back up. The last few skeins I used had hard strands of plastic woven in with the yarn in places. Nothing made with the newer yarn will be given as gifts. I refuse to give a gift with this yarn that doesn't hold up.

Yes, it is the store brand yarn. Most of the yarn sold at HL is their brand. Anything ILTY, yarn bee and baby bee is their brand.

When the yarn first came out it was 1.99 a skein. Then it went to 2.49, and now it is 2.79. 2 price hikes in less than a year. When you saw it for 2.22, it was on sale. But it is still cheaper than Vanna's yarn and most other soft acrylic yarn.

Not only did the price go up, but the quality went down. Yes, it is still very soft, but the newer yarn and colors don't hold up as well as the original yarn did. The newer yarn pills and fuzzes up with normal use.

I am using up the rest of my stash of it, then won't buy anymore unless the quality goes back up. The last few skeins I used had hard strands of plastic woven in with the yarn in places. Nothing made with the newer yarn will be given as gifts. I refuse to give a gift with this yarn that doesn't hold up.

Yes, it is the store brand yarn. Most of the yarn sold at HL is their brand. Anything ILTY, yarn bee and baby bee is their brand.

I must agree with you. Price has gone up and the quality of the yarn as gone wayyyyyy down. I do like the softness and some of the colors are fabulous, but I refuse to use that yarn, besides the little balls still in my stash. I absolutely don't like the way it works up nor do I like the way it holds up. I do still purchase the yarn bee and the baby bee brands as I haven't had a problem with those YET :lol:lol

:eek I wish I would have known this about a week and 1/2 ago. I went to HL and bought about 20 skeins because it was cheaper (on sale) than the RHSS, which I normally buy. I haven't had a chance to use it yet so hopefully what I bought is some of the old stock.

Thanks for letting us know.

I still stand by ILTY. Ive had no issues with it but maybe Im not as observant as you ladies. I usually either get it with a 40% off coupon or get it on sale. Does kinda take away the fun when the price jumps but prices are jumping on lots of things...they must just not be able to make it that cheap anymore, plus, lots of people buy it so they may have decided they can make more money now..

:eek I wish I would have known this about a week and 1/2 ago. I went to HL and bought about 20 skeins because it was cheaper (on sale) than the RHSS, which I normally buy. I haven't had a chance to use it yet so hopefully what I bought is some of the old stock.

Thanks for letting us know.

If it doesn't have $1.99 on the skein wrapper, it isn't old stock.

Maybe the quality has gone back up, but I bought a skein of the Candy Corn when it first came out, made a printer cover with it, and it is fuzzing. And it just sits there on it, with the occasional cat rubbing against it. If a cat can make something fuzz just by rubbing against it, imagine what a ghan looks after a few uses.

Good luck.

If I was you, I would make a scarf with one skein, then use it, rub it, smoosh it around and see how it holds up before I made a large item.

You can also just pet and rub the skein for a bit to see if it fuzzes. If it does, keep the receipt and take it back.

I have been very disappointed with this yarn! I hate to see the prices continually going up because it is just not worth it -- and I agree that the quality has gone down. I made an afghan out of it that did not hold up to washing and I would not use it again.

I have baby afghans (made from red heart) that are still beautiful after many washings (my baby is now 20 years old) so my first choice for an afghan (especially a gift) will be red heart!

I've only made a few projects with ILTY yarn because it's not that easy for me to get. I have to order online. So far I made a bed doll and a scarf and hat set for my son. The bed doll was washed and given away. It looked beautiful to me. The scarf and hat aren't in use yet. I've also planned a 'ghan for my son in this. I loved working with it. It's so much softer than the RHSS. We shall see how it holds up. Frankly, I turned to ILTY because RHSS had fallen apart on me in a beautiful 'ghan that I made for myself. It's now a nasty-looking ball of pills and fuzz and I can't wait to make myself a new one out of good yarn. Oh, and I also got a splinter from working with the RHSS. :eek There was tiny wood splinters woven into the fiber. It seems that both RHSS and ILTY have lost quality. I still have one more trick up my sleeve if ILTY doesn't hold up. Bernat Super Value. It's not all THAT super of a value, lol, but still less expensive than Vanna's Choice. BTW, Vanna's Choice would be my choice for most 'ghans if it wasn't for the price.

Yikes!! wood splinters...that is horrible...good grief!

I've only made a few projects with ILTY yarn because it's not that easy for me to get. I have to order online. So far I made a bed doll and a scarf and hat set for my son. The bed doll was washed and given away. It looked beautiful to me. The scarf and hat aren't in use yet. I've also planned a 'ghan for my son in this. I loved working with it. It's so much softer than the RHSS. We shall see how it holds up. Frankly, I turned to ILTY because RHSS had fallen apart on me in a beautiful 'ghan that I made for myself. It's now a nasty-looking ball of pills and fuzz and I can't wait to make myself a new one out of good yarn. Oh, and I also got a splinter from working with the RHSS. :eek There was tiny wood splinters woven into the fiber. It seems that both RHSS and ILTY have lost quality. I still have one more trick up my sleeve if ILTY doesn't hold up. Bernat Super Value. It's not all THAT super of a value, lol, but still less expensive than Vanna's Choice. BTW, Vanna's Choice would be my choice for most 'ghans if it wasn't for the price.

certianly hope that you got the yarn for the cheapest price! If there was a lower price sticker on it I would have made them give it to me for that price :lol

I think that they have mastered putting 1 sticker right over the other!

thanks for all of this info~

mgf~:yay

Archived