I kept my grandma's gifts all this years

Me too. My grandmother passed in the mid 90's, and not long ago I wore out the last flannel nightgown she made me. She made pjs and nighties for all of us girls our entire lives.

I still have one set of pillow cases with edging she made. I want to cut the edging off and put it on some new pillow cases. Grandma made these for us nearly every year too, and I didn't appreciate them nearly as much as I do now.

I never met my grandmother, as she died when my mother was a teenager; but I have the bedspread she crocheted in thread and three doilies. It means so much to even have a small piece of her. It's funny no one in my family crochets so I must have gotten the crochet gene from my grandmother!

I'm envious..I didn't know either of my grandmothers. Both died when my parents were in their teens. My dad died when I was ten, so I didn't get to hear any stories about his mother to speak of. I don't know if either grandmother was crafty or not. I suspect they each might have been, as some of their sisters were crafters. There's nobody left for me to ask in the case of my paternal grandma, but I should ask my maternal aunt about the granny on that side. Both my aunt and my mom are/were crocheters, so it is possible the learned from their mother or one of her sisters.

That's wonderful that you have all those momentos. I have a baby blanket my grandmother made for me and 2 that she made for my dd. She has also made Christmas ornaments for all of us grandkids throughout the years and I have kept all of those. She did that so that when we were grown we wouldn't have to have an empty tree! It really did come in handy my first year away from home. Its nice to have these keepsakes and someday I will likely pass them down to my kids.

My great-grandmother crocheted all her life, and I asked her to make me an afghan when I got married. She did, and it was the last one she ever made. Twenty years later, I have it, and it is in like-new condition as I have used it sparingly. I want it to last forever!

I've also have a few things that my grandma made before she passed away. Every time I go home during winter and summer breaks, I always snag this giant afghan she made. It's so thick and heavy I love it! If it weren't so hot in Florida I think I'd bring it back to college with me. :)

I knew my paternal grandma knitted, but only found out she crocheted after she died. I got a knitting basket and enough granny squares for a good sized afghan. I also have my maternal great-grandma's doily hooks (my mom has some doilies). It's nice to have something from the past.

Ellie 13

My grandma passed away in 1983 when I was ten. When I was a baby she made me a yellow and white baby afhgan. Someday I hope to be able to recreate the pattern (I'm terrible at figuring out stiches) to make one for my grandchild (decades into the future!). When I was older she made me a yellow and white bed doll which sits proudly today displayed with my Precious Moments. Also I still have the yellow and white poncho she made for me. Yellow was my favorite color when I was a child, but how she guessed it would be when I was a baby, is just a mystery! Often when I'm crocheting I think of her. I'm the only grandchild who crochets, so I think she'd be proud.

Archived