Confusion

Okay, I took a gander at today's FPotD from Annie's Attic, and it looks like something I would love to make for myself (although if I did, I'd probably make the sleeves longer, just 'cuz it's starting to get cold here already). But the pattern as written calls for size 3 crochet cotton - impossible for me to find here. I'd probably want to make it with DK yarn, and an F hook (because I've found that's the best hook to USE with DK yarn). Since I happen to have both DK yarn AND an F hook right in front of me, I decided to whip up a small gauge swatch to see just how I'd have to adjust the pattern.

But it matched! :think

My gauge swatch matched the gauge listed on the pattern EXACTLY.

How the heck did that happen???:eek:think

the lower the number on thread, the thicker it is, so I'm guessing size 3 thread may be a good substitute for DK yarn (?) and the pattern worked in 3 thread with the specified hook just happens to work out the same with the yarn/hook you've chosen...go for it!!!

#3 is very thick, like heavy string. Maybe your DK squishes down to that same thickness once it's in a stitch.

I was having a similar thought when I read the pattern. I wondered if I could do it with sport weight yarn and the F hook, because I already know I can use an F hook with sport weight.

Since you have already swatched it and the gauge is right on, I'll bet mine would be fine too. Oh goodie!

I don't know, I'm not really a gage person (I have ok luck on fakeing it, plus I don't really make many garments). But I agree with the ladies, take it as a blessing and run before the gods change their minds! :)

Archived