Getting ready for Halloween!

ferretlady

We're doing some homemade Halloween props this year - after seeing some incredible stuff at HalloweenForum.com, Stolloween.com and other places, we thought we'd try a few things ourselves....

Hubby just started these obelisks to put out in our graveyard - he still has to finish them, paint them & make them "stone-like" but this is the basic initial build. They're about 4' tall, so they're not very large, but most of our tombstones are smaller, so these will work well... very inexpensive prop to make - taking in a guess on paint, they'll cost about $3-4 to make.

Obelisk1.jpg

I've been playing with some styrofoam wig heads, and making them into creepy things.... here's a witch head I did - air-dry modelling compound over a styrofoam wig head, then painted. first pic just her head, then after putting some hair on her...WitchHead3.jpg

WitchHead5.jpg

This is the start of a mummy head - it will be a full-size standing mummy out in the yard - hubby's building an armature for the body/arms/legs that the head will sit on. This is just the start of it, after forming the face on the wig head w/ celluclay - it will be "wrapped w/ bandages" and painted, I'm still waiting for the clay to dry all the way...I'm still trying to decide if he'll be creepier with empty eye sockets or if I should put some kind of eyes on him....

MummyHead2.jpg

On a crochet note, did some of these for around the house...

Spiderweb1.jpg

Hubby is working on some animated props right now - they look like they'll turn out really cool. We've been picking up all kinds of "stuff" at the thrift store, and he's got some various motors & stuff that he can modify to use for props...

We've got tons of stuff we're still working on, but these are a few starts we've gotten done.... The mummy above is about as "creepy" as we get - we don't do any of the blood-and-gore stuff -- we have quite a few inflatables, tons of tombstones, some cute stuff, some semi-spooky stuff, but we keep it mostly toned down, like I said, Mr Mummy is about the creepiest thing we'll have.... we just have so much fun decorating for the holidays - I love this time of year! Then after Halloween, we can start getting our Christmas stuff going! (Then Valentines, St Pattys & Easter -- then back to boring no-major-holiday time again ....)

WOW - WHAT A FUN PLACE TO BE FOR HALLOWEEN!!!

I used to decorate a lot when my kids were little, but

now .. an autumn wreath, leaves and a few pumpkins

are lucky to make it out of the storage boxes!!!

Need to come up with some really cool crochet decor

for Halloween ... like you SPIDERWEB doilies ... too

cool! THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR PIX!!!!!!!!!

No major holidays? If you live in the US, there is always the 4th of July! ;)

Yeah, but there's really not a lot of variety you can do for the 4th, other than sticking flags or red/white/blue all over. Other than an "Uncle Sam", there aren't really any "characters" or "things" associated with the holiday. And there's quite a long break between Easter & the 4th, kinda kills the flow of things!:D

Starting Oct 1st, when our Halloween stuff is completely put out, we're decorated non-stop til after Easter. As soon as Halloween comes down, Christmas starts going up -- since alot of it is "winter-y" (polar bears, snowmen, penguins, etc), we leave it up til around Jan. 10 - 15th... As soon as Christmas comes down, Valentines goes up, then St Patricks, then Easter.... Then everything is packed up & we start planning for the next year's stuff

• 3 weeks later...

That's fun. this is the first year for us. I'm setting up a haunted maze for the kids. which I will add to each year! you are way ahead of me and I know my husband would never do anything like that.

though he will get the electricity going as well as keeping the paths mowed.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived