Scarf using Homespun?

Long ago I bought a huge stash of Homespun yarn for some projects. I found out I hate to work with it and I will never use it for anything large. Now I just want to use it up and give it away to get rid of it.

So, Plan B is to whip out one-skein scarves. Does anyone have any scarf patterns to recommend that work particularly well with Homespun yarn? It doesn't seem to lend itself very well to details as it's so fluffy. I'm sure it will make up into soft scarves so I'm willing to crochet it up for that purpose.

Thanks so much in advance.

I have made litterally 50 scarves with homespun!!! No Kidding!!! :eek

I love to use it for scarves and I have an easy pattern that I made up (I guess) that is so fast it is unbelieveable!! I use a large hook like a J for me and I chain it as long as you want it to be. Then I dc in the back loop only all the way back and continue this back loop thing until I have 5 or 6 rows depending on how wide you want it. So, your stitches end up vertical and look a bit like knitting and I put tassles on the end of each row and I am done!!!! The ones in this picture are at least 4 years old and look great even though they are Homespun!!! The only bad thing about the Homespun is the tassles tend to fray out. Next one I make I am going to tie a knot at the ends. Good luck!!

scarves.jpg

scarvesclose.jpg

Texasredhead, thanks for the info about your scarves. Your photos look great! I do worry about the fringe, though, as the fraying is one of the aspects of Homespun that I dislike.

Thanks for providing your pattern. I'll give it a try. What is a ballpark figure for the number of stitches in the beginning chain for an adult scarf? Do you finish the other side with a row of SC, or leave it at DC?

Texasredhead, thanks for the info about your scarves. Your photos look great! I do worry about the fringe, though, as the fraying is one of the aspects of Homespun that I dislike.

Thanks for providing your pattern. I'll give it a try. What is a ballpark figure for the number of stitches in the beginning chain for an adult scarf? Do you finish the other side with a row of SC, or leave it at DC?

These scarves are 44 inches long. 2 skeins will make 3 scarves. We don't have very cold winters here and we usually just hang it from around our necks down the front of our coat and don't form them into a loop to slip through. So, you could make them any length that works for you. Everything on it is just DC and you could get fancier, but with homespun who would know? You can also make the tassles from another ww yarn with maybe one homespun in there for continuity, but they would look better and not all frizz out. My brown scarf is some random yarn that I bought on sale at Garden Ridge. It was really lumpy and bumpy, but it made a great scarf and has been better than the homespun for duribility. :hug

i usually tie knots in my homespun fringe or you can make a chain fringe-

join in the first stitch on a short edge- chain as many as you want to be your length, then do that many again and join in the next stitch on the scarf and repeat across ending on the last stitch of your short edge- finish off and weave in the ends .repeat for the other end!

probably not the best explanation, but it looks good and doesn't ravel

i usually tie knots in my homespun fringe or you can make a chain fringe-

join in the first stitch on a short edge- chain as many as you want to be your length, then do that many again and join in the next stitch on the scarf and repeat across ending on the last stitch of your short edge- finish off and weave in the ends .repeat for the other end!

probably not the best explanation, but it looks good and doesn't ravel

Good mention of chain fringe! I like that look too and am going to use that on my next scarf especially if it is homespun!!

I love the Homespun yarn, but for me crocheting with it is hard!! :think I tend to lose the "stitches". So I ended up "knitting" my oldest daughter a scarf. It turned out really nice, except the fringe. I didn't know that the yarn "frayed"!! My dd came over one time with it and I saw the "fringe" :eek!! It was all gone. So the next one I made, I tied knots at the end of the "fringe"!! :hook

Oliveoil, you've just described my love/hate relationship with Homespun yarn. Unfortunately I have a chunk of change invested in quite a few skeins. I just hate working with it but it feels so yummy. That's why I thought I'd turn it all into scarves, give them away, and be done with it.

LOL

I love Texasredhead's scarves. Anyone else have a Homespun-friendly scarf pattern to share?

Simple patterns seem to work best with Homespunl; I've made several scarves using alternating rows of DC and SC or HDC. I like HDC better than sc since I have a terrible time seeing the silly stitches well enough to count them! But gee, it HAS been three years since I had my eyes checked...perhaps I should consider it:lol

I made my mentor a scarf for Christmas last year and he loved loved loved it and talked about how lightweight but warm it was.

I chained the length I wanted, then did a row of sc, a row of dc, and a row alternating dc in the front loop, dc in the back loop , repeat for pattern. I used a J hook.

Archived