which pattern or stitches use the least amt of yarn

Nancy NE

Question

I have leftover skeins of I love this cotton ( and I do love it) and would like to make a preemie blanket. I know that some patterns (ie those with shells and cluters) use more yarn. But which stitches or patterns use the least amt?

thanks

Nancy

11 answers to this question

I'm not sure about the stitches that use less yarn but you could try a few different sts with some some scrap yarn (all the same length pieces and same weights too) and see how big each piece with each different scrap is.

Sorry I wasn't more help!!

Julee

Someone asked this question a while back and I actually tested this with a length of yarn by making a swatch, frogging, making another swatch in another stitch, etc., with the same hook.

In plain old solid stitches, the same length of yarn in sc covers the smallest area, dc bigger, triple bigger yet. So, the taller the stitch the more real estate you can cover with the same amount of yarn. I didn't try hdc, but I would think they would be yarn hogs since they take more yarn but aren't much taller than sc. Same with clusters, since they are just adding thickness but not size (but they're pretty :))

So since shells are combinations of dc and sc (but mostly dc), they'd take more yarn than plain dc but less than sc. The lacier the pattern, the farther you can go with the same amount of yarn...but you don't want to go too lacy for a preemie blanket.

I love the V stitch...I use it in all kinds of patterns and depending on your needle is not too holey at all. I use it for scarves, blankies, afghans, hats, home decor and even shawls and combining with a special stitch can come out with some lovely patterns. I know my (fans) love whatever I make and keep on making order wishes lol.

I think the V stitch isn't holy if you don't crochet loose or use a large hook and one strand of yarn. My 5 hour afghan was the v stitch and with 2 strands it wasn't too bad. I guess it depends if you want more of a solid afghan. A triple crochet wouldn't give a very solid one, either, but might work out fine.

I think for the least amount of yarn, stitches that don't require a lot of time to do that one stitch (sometimes).

This would be a good experiment and when peole get around to it, please post a link to the finished items.

Debbi

A super easy pattern is ripples, and, if you use a largish (I tend to use a J or K) hook and DC, should take much yarn.

I really couldn't find a pattern, so here are the basics. I use a repeat that is like this: 5 dc, [dc, ch 2, dc] in one stitch, 5 dc, skip two stitches, 5 dc, [dc, ch 2, dc] in same stitch. Right now I am working a baby blanket in Peaches N Cream yarn with a K hook. My base chain was, I think, 111 or so. One of these days I will figure out the pattern properly!

I hope this helps!

:rose MissRach

The ripple would be good to add to the "test" of this. I wouldn't think it would use a little yarn, but maybe so. I don't know about a sc ripple, but maybe. I tried doing a sc ripple and just didn't like the counting of all the rows, each and every stitch (if I didn't I missed a stitch). But it's very possible it doesn't take a lot of yarn.

That's a good idea. I plan on starting my experiment soon so I'll include that in it (the ripple design). Any other ideas of what stitches should be used?

Thanks

Julee

I recently made a baby blanket for my cousin using a (sc ch1 skip next st sc ch 1) rep - It didn't use a great deal of yarn, but made the most simple beautiful (not holey) pattern and it was thin!

there's relatively no bulk to it at all - only issue was it did take me a while because I bore easily and kept putting it down...i will DEFINITELY be making more baby blankets this way

here's a pic

th_ZB032.jpg

Archived