Trying the pencil grip

I have always held my hook overhand. And I have worked with many yarns successfully. But I bought some Sugar'n Cream Confections and it was splitting like crazy. Frustrating. As I went along I noticed that although I was having to go back and fix split yarns less, my hand was making some pretty dramatic moves to sustain it. I thought, "I wonder if working underhand would be smoother?" So I tried it. Although it is still alittle awkward, my hand looks less contorted and I'm not splitting yarns! May take me awhile to finish this gusset and handle, but I think it will be worth it.

Has anyone else switched grips either permenantly or for a certain project?

I am finishing a poncho for my daughter for which I'm using a super-bulky yarn and an 11.50 mm/P hook. I realized, half way, that holding the hook the pencil way it's much easier for this kind of project. With other projects I found myself trying both ways to see which way feels easier on my hand and wrist. It's nice to have options.:yes

I have always held my hook overhand. And I have worked with many yarns successfully. But I bought some Sugar'n Cream Confections and it was splitting like crazy. Frustrating. As I went along I noticed that although I was having to go back and fix split yarns less, my hand was making some pretty dramatic moves to sustain it. I thought, "I wonder if working underhand would be smoother?" So I tried it. Although it is still alittle awkward, my hand looks less contorted and I'm not splitting yarns! May take me awhile to finish this gusset and handle, but I think it will be worth it.

Has anyone else switched grips either permenantly or for a certain project?

I am finishing a poncho for my daughter for which I'm using a super-bulky yarn and an 11.50 mm/P hook. I realized, half way, that holding the hook the pencil way it's much easier for this kind of project. With other projects I found myself trying both ways to see which way feels easier on my hand and wrist. It's nice to have options.:yes

I agree! I had tried vaguely and invain to crochet with a pencil grip in the past. I guess I just needed to put forth alittle more effort. Glad I had to :lol.

I've tried overhand, but it's way too slow and awkward. I can fly through a granny square or whatnot with the pencil grip.
I am just the opposite. If I want to crochet quickly, I use the knife or overhand method. I can do the pencil grip but I am slow as molasses with that. I guess it's what you are used to and if I practiced the pencil grip I am sure I would pick up speed. But I doubt that I would ever be as fast that way.

I am just the opposite. If I want to crochet quickly, I use the knife or overhand method. I can do the pencil grip but I am slow as molasses with that. I guess it's what you are used to and if I practiced the pencil grip I am sure I would pick up speed. But I doubt that I would ever be as fast that way.

I am the same way.

Me too so far. But I am getting faster as the handle gets longer. :cheer

Me too. I've only tried the pencil grip when I found a how'to book that said it was the "correct" way to crochet:lol. But was way too slow. I haven't tried it since.

It's interesting to know that it can work for certain yarns, maybe I'd have to try it. For a small project since I'm so slow with it.

Debbi

This morning I was surely still sleeping when I wrote my message:yawn!

Let me try again.

For me it's all the opposite of what I said in the previous post :confused.

I use the knife way with bulkier yarn and bigger hooks, but, in general, I use the pencil way, simply because that's how my mom and grandma used to crochet and for many years I have never thought there was any other way. I tried the knife way with other projects, but it doesn't come that natural, especially if they are smaller projects and I find myself needing to hold the work with the same hand I'm holding the hook.

Archived