Simple doily?

Honestly, I want to do thread work... but the patterns seem so complicated...

I was told doilies were as simple as the basic stitches, but then all the "novelty" books came out, and now I can't track down a nioce, normal white doily to learn with.

I swear, if they come out with a funfur doily, I'm gonna start throwing those radioactive green 70's granny squares at people...

[/rant]

So... anyone know a good pattern for a thread beginner?

I started on doilies with patterns that were charts, or symbols. Magic Crochet books were what they were. Some of the patterns today still have symbol graphs with them and they made perfect visual sense to me. The one thing about doilies, is they are usually symetrical. So, you are really just doing a small piece of that pattern over and over to make the circle. Don't be scared, just jump in and do it!! :hook

It is thinner yarn like thread so if I were you I would use a sport weight yarn with the E hook. This will get you used to making a doily shape. Then you can move up to a smaller hook and say a size 3 thread. That is how I started and it works.:cheer

When I started thread I was so intimidated by the absolute tiny-ness of it that I used embroidery floss and I think a #3Bates hook. As long as the hook matches the thread/yarn that you're using you'll be fine.

Don't make it harder than it is. If it makes you feel better do one in yarn first to get the hang of the stitches.

• 5 months later...

This thread was very helpful. I'm working on my first doily (the Petite Pineapple by Priscilla Hewitt). I've encountered a little problem on round 10, but I think I'll be able to get it figured out. :::keeping fingers crossed:::

Archived