How many pieces in a layette?

Hi,

I am entering several items into my county fair next week and I have a question about layettes for you. I have submitted my entry form for the fair, and one category I am entering it the crocheted layette category. I was planning on entering a christening gown, victorian cape, and booties under this category. Would you consider this a layette? How many pieces are typically in a layette? Is three pieces appropriate? Dose there need to be a blanket for it to count as a layette? The fair guidlines do not specify. Thanks!

Layette is basically a broad term for baby clothing and accessories.

A blanket isn't necessary but you would usually have a bonnet or hat. Typical layette is a Sweater, Booties, Hat, Blanket (optional), Bib (optional). I've seen some layettes that have a gown, cap, booties and blanket.

I thought a layette was just a gown.

Nope, it's a set.

From the MW Dictionary:

a complete outfit of clothing and equipment for a newborn infant

From Wiki:

Basic layette items include:

a going-home-from-the-hospital outfit

legless sleepwear (sleeping gowns / kimonos / sleeping bags / newborn sacques / blanket sleepers) or footed sleepers

onesies (short-sleeved, legless bodysuits) / all-in-ones / rompers / coveralls

undershirts / T-shirts

receiving blankets

swaddling blankets

hooded towels

baby washcloths

socks / booties

hats / beanies / sweaters / bunting (depending on the climate)

burp cloths (cloth diapers are often recommended)

Oh but I think you're good, too.

:)

I wouldn't call a christening gown a Layette item. It is a very specific item rather than the 'general stuff' that falls into Layette items.

Most layettes include a blankie, hat and sweater. Booties are usually in there too but not always.

I wouldn't call a christening gown a Layette item. It is a very specific item rather than the 'general stuff' that falls into Layette items.

Most layettes include a blankie, hat and sweater. Booties are usually in there too but not always.

I have some older patterns that show "layette sets" as blankie, hat/bonnet (sp), sweater & bottom cover or onesie, and booties. Some for newborns included mittens.

Archived