Would I regret a white Christmas Treeskirt?

I have been coveting Katchkan's Wishful Angel Treeskirt. I finally showed it to my husband and he liked it but pointed out that a white treeskirt might not be the smartest thing for our house given that we have 4 daughters ages 4 and under. I told him he was probably right but that I would think about it.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on the sanity of a white treeskirt in my situation (I don't want to use a different color; white would look great with our hardwood floors)?

I was going to use Cebelia thread (budget permitting). Does that stuff wash up well? (Having to clean it is probably inevitable.)

Thanks.

Stick with white, I'd say. See if you can find some heavy clear plastic/vinyl material...like maybe the tablecloth stuff at JoAnn's. You could cut that to fit over your tree-skirt, with a slit and center hole to go around the tree...then you can see your lovely work, and still protect it from the majority of 4-and-under catastrophes

I haven't used Cebelia, I know others have, and it's great to work with. I would imagine, being 100% cotton that it would wash up well, just use the delicate/handwash cycle. and being white, could even take bleach if absolutely necessary...Oxyclean works great on a lot of different stains (even crayon if caught early enough) and is milder on fabric, so it's a great starter...I use it as a presoak often.

HTH

I would go with white. Think of it as an awesome chance to teach them how to respect different things in the home.

Growing up, my mother never took anything down and we always had white doilies and table runners. I did the same thing with my daughter. Granted - my Grandmother had 2 and me and my mom both only had 1. I can't even imagine what it's like to have 4.

Well, I've made two white Christmas tree skirts for my sisters, but out of yarn. The kids involved are teenagers (12 to almost 18), but there are dogs, cats, and two men who work a lot outside and bring lots of dust and dirt in, and neither has said anything to me about it looking grungy or dirty (and they live in NJ, with winter snow, rain, and mud). Just as RoseRed said, we were taught that certain things (like the big, heavy, old glass balls on the tree) were not toys and were not to be touched.

Kathy's skirt is so gorgeous! I'm tempted to make her pattern, but for me. If you make it, post progress photos, please, so I can see how easily it goes. Patty

I agree. Why not make a family heirloom? Small children can learn to only look, or only touch and not pull, etc. It is the most beautiful tree skirt I've ever seen.

Thanks for all of the responses. You have all convinced me that doing it in white would not be a disaster. My kids are pretty good about not touching things, well, as good as any kids can be expected to be.

I don't know when I will get around to starting it. Right now I am on round 45 of the 60 round Between Meal Centerpiece. Once that is done it will either be the tree skirt or sweaters for Christmas for my girls. I will definitely post progress pictures when I do the tree skirt.

I think that white would be ok. It's not like it gets walked on or anything. I agree with you that white would look nice next to the hardwood floors.

It took years for my white tree skirt to start looking grungy and it washed beautifully. It survived several cats and is on it's 2nd. generation of kids.

Archived