Pattern suggestions needed

I'm expecting my first, and likely only, baby in late October. I'm having a little girl.

My question is this. I would love to make something incredibly special, with a view to becoming an heirloom, for her. What patterns would you suggest. I'm specifically looking for afghan type patterns.

I did buy The Sandman pattern from Crochet Garden, and I started it, but to be honest, I didn't like how it was turning out so stopped. Also, the baby sized one, when I followed the pattern, wouldn't have even turned out the size of a pillow case.

If anyone has any suggestions, or pictures of things they have made I'd really appreciate it as I'm struggling to find the perfect thing. I'm happy to buy the pattern (remembering I'm in Australia, so it may be difficult), but free patterns would also be great.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Congratulations :) Hope the rest of your pregnancy is an easy one. Enjoy the quiet time and get lots of sleep! :)

It's hard to find just the perfect blanket pattern for a little one! I made a few for my baby before he arrived but the one I chose for him to come home from the hospital in was one my Mum made. It's my 'heirloom' one that's just for him. Mum made it from this pattern from Lionbrand.

This blanket is really lovely too. The pictures on Coats and Clark aren't so great, but there's a few of these posted on Ravelry so you can get a better idea of what they look like. It's a beautiful pattern and not too bad to follow.

I also really like the MAM Bright Ribbons blanket from the book Annie's Favorite Baby Projects. I bought my copy of the book on Ebay, but you might find it at Crochet Australia. Photobucket's mucking up for me so I can't post pictures of the one I made (it's on my Ravelry page if you want to see it). Here's a link to one someone else here on the 'Ville made.

Good luck with what you choose to make!

are you looking for a baby blanket you will use or something for looks

If you want it for looks and keeps The Pink paperdoll afghan would be nice and also Bears on my blanket I have never made them but I have the pattern and just waiting for some one in my Family to have a baby.

Lots of luck with your new bundle of joy

The Tiramisu blanket is lovely when it is made up... it does have that heirloom quality to it and yet it is very easy to do.

http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/TiramisuBlanket.pdf

A friend of mine made this on my suggestion recently and it was just stunning. I would skip the ribbon part myself but to each his own. :wlol

You want an heirloom? How about a blanket with her name in the middle. Here is my favorite baby blanket to make and give.

http://www.crochetkim.com/patterns/perbaby.html

It is by crochetville's own Kim Guzman. She has a great tutorial on how to do the name, plus the entire alphabet, upper and lower case all graphed out and ready to print off. I found it is an easy way to learn how to do graphed afghans, and it is beautiful. Here is a link to one I made. I did my own thing on the name border, but it shows you what they look like.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/crazycrochet/?action=view&current=2007_1001crochetitems0034.jpg

I love Dorothy's two suggestions, especially the pink paperdoll afghan. But the pattern is hard to find. I made one square using this pattern and donated it to the afghans that were made for the Crocodile Hunter's widow and children.

One pattern that comes to my mind is the Cathedral Rose Window afghan, available once again from Annie's Attic. Use pastels or baby colors and you'll have an incredible heirloom I think.

These are the blanketsKayla.jpgets that I make for a keepsake. I have made many of them. I use an H hook and worsted weight yarn. Ch about 100 and do any stitches you like. The name is graphed and done in a popcorn stitch.

The Tiramisu blanket is lovely when it is made up... it does have that heirloom quality to it and yet it is very easy to do.

http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/TiramisuBlanket.pdf

A friend of mine made this on my suggestion recently and it was just stunning. I would skip the ribbon part myself but to each his own. :wlol

This is a fantastic one!

I really love the Tiramisu on and the Heirloom Lace one from Lionbrand. Thanks Darski and Sahahne for those suggestions.

I'd also like to do one with her name in it. We're going to call her Kiya (pronounced K-eye-a). I've never changed colours mid row before though and have zero idea how to go about it. I'll have to do some practice swatches and see how I go.

Thanks ladies...

Archived