Rag Rug Cat Mats

Cocoa Cream

Here are some photos of the cat mats I made for my new kittens before they arrived! When I was 13, my grandmother taught me how to make "rag rugs" crocheted using strips of fabric sewn together. The rose-colored and blue rugs use the slip stitch technique she taught me. The multicolored "basket" shaped one I made using sc instead. The kittens seem to really like their beds! (And I didn't have to spend a fortune on them, either!)

2584660329_dfdbc196b5_o.jpg

2584666739_772731a6b3_o.jpg

Those are fabulous! Kudos to you for making something yourself that would otherwise be expensive and not as durable.

The kittens are the cutest! Congrats on your new additions.

Ahhh ~ how adorable! How old are the babies and what did you name them? ?

The 3 M's (as I like to call them) are about 8 weeks old, but we're not sure exactly. We got them from friends whose "adopted stray" cat had her kittens in their garage attic! The light grey one is Molly, Max is the tabby on the left, and Maggie is on the right.

Ooooh... cute overload! :) I've never worked with homemade rag "yarn", really should try it, there's lots of sewing scraps here! Do you cut it on the bias or on the straight grain to make the "yarn"?

Ooooh... cute overload! :) I've never worked with homemade rag "yarn", really should try it, there's lots of sewing scraps here! Do you cut it on the bias or on the straight grain to make the "yarn"?

I actually make short cuts along one side of the fabric, about 1 1/2 inches apart, then tear strips beginning at those cuts. Does that make sense? It would go with the grain, not on the bias. I just tear the strips because that doesn't take as long as actually cutting each one.

Oh boy are they cute, all snuggled together like that! I like the basket one the best!

A lady in our extension group taught us how to cut fabric so that it all comes out in one long strip instead of having to attach the lengths together somehow. I'll see if I can find directions on that for you, it's so easy!

Great job!

Lynn

They are beautiful rag rugs and so handy...your kitties are so cute. I lost my cat last year after 16 years together and envy your 3 kitties...Enjoy them.:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

A lady in our extension group taught us how to cut fabric so that it all comes out in one long strip instead of having to attach the lengths together somehow. I'll see if I can find directions on that for you, it's so easy!

That would be a good thing to know! Otherwise one must figure out how to attach the strips together nicely. I wonder where you should post the directions?

Archived