Sweet Dream Blankies, Squares and Traveling Afghans!

Vickietoria

Hi everyone! I've been pondering the idea of starting a charity (gulp) in my area for a long time, and I've just done it. About a week ago, I started a yahoo group, for people like me, who want to help kids in foster care to feel comforted, just after they've been taken from home and all they know.

It doesn't matter how bad the situation that a child is taken from, it was still their home, and all they knew. They're being taken and put with another family that they don't know, possibly a new school, new rules, and it is all very difficult transition for these kids. Many of them have physical and emotional scars, that time alone will heal.

So, I'm asking anyone here, if you would like, to donate 12" squares any solid color (veriegated is fine, just not two solid colors in one square), worsted weight acrylic yarn. I'll also take any other size square, as I have a lot of odds and ends squares that could become a crazy afghan.

I've been taking afghans to my local (Athens, Alabama) DHR office since December, and every time I go, I just wish I could make more. They have a special shelf set up, with the blankets on it, and the kids pick one as they are brought in. One adult told me about a child picking out her blanket, and just the look of amazement, that this was HER blanket, no one could take away. The little boy who got a spiderman afghan I made, carried it around with him, and just kept hugging it.

I'm asking for squares, but if anyone would like to make the entire afghan, that would be amazing! I'm looking for lapghan size or larger; so 36"X48" or larger. I've done some fleece with crochet edging too, just as long as it's something a child-teen would like. Just think of what your kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews would like, and that color will be just fine.

I've got the yahoo group set up, and if you'd like to join, I'd love to have you! Check out this post to read about our traveling afghan program that we're doing, and so excited about! This has been a real hit, and I'm having a lot of fun with the idea. Some have paired off who have the same yarn in their stash to make squares that will match, and things like that.

Later, from September-February, I'll be accepting scarves and hats to donate there as well. I'm hoping to be able to donate 1 hat/scarf set for every child in the foster care system right now. So far, I have a lot of scarves, from fleece scraps, and could really use some bright hats!

Thank you all so much, anyone who just reads this post! It means so much to me that you're willing to help out these kids! You can see some of the other afghans I've donated on my blog, but these are just the ones I've done for May, I don't have pictures of previous ones, as I didn't take any...

Thanks again!

Hugs

Victoria

Thanks so much ladies! I've replied to the PMs that I've gotten, and thank you so much!!! I delivered 2 afghans on Friday, and the lady who accepted them just lit up, and was so happy to see them! I think she heard about me, because I've never met her before, and just said that I'd donated blankets before, and had a few more to give. She was so happy! She wasn't even one of the kids, so I can only imagine how much this means to the kids. Thank you so much for any help you can give. :)

Hugs

Victoria

Thanks Sissie, but you have a lot of work to do too! :) I see in your signature that you have about 87 more blankies to go. Wow!! That's great, considering you started with 100, and want this done by Christmas! Good luck with everything!!

Victoria

Hi everyone! I wanted to announce that I was able to finish an afghan today, with squares donated by members of crochetville and the yahoo group. Thank you so much!! You can read about it, and see who donated the squares by going to my blog. Thanks, and have a great day!

Victoria

LOL, I always joke, because there's a relationship between how stressed out I am to how much I crochet... :) There's been some interesting things going on in my life right now, so I've been crocheting a LOT lol. :)

Victoria

Do you want any specific pattern? Are granny squares ok? I'd be happy to send you a few squares....I'll reduce my stash, possibly try out some new motifs, and hopefully help a child or two in the process. You're doing a wonderful thing here. :c9

I have 3 or 4 orphaned 8" squares. Would they do you any good?

Let me know if you'd like them! No offense if they are the wrong sizes for your purposes. ;)

Colleen

Do you want any specific pattern? Are granny squares ok? I'd be happy to send you a few squares....I'll reduce my stash, possibly try out some new motifs, and hopefully help a child or two in the process. You're doing a wonderful thing here. :c9

Any pattern is wonderful! :) Thank you so much!!

Victoria

I have 3 or 4 orphaned 8" squares. Would they do you any good?

Let me know if you'd like them! No offense if they are the wrong sizes for your purposes. ;)

Colleen

Hi Colleen! I've got some other orphaned squares too, and I'm working on a crazy ghan with lots of different sized squares. Send them on! :) That would be just fine. I'll either add a couple rounds to make them larger, or I'll make them into scarves (which we'll start donating about September time) or I'll put them together to make a tote bag.... The options really are endless for squares! :) Thanks so much!

Victoria

Hi Colleen! I've got some other orphaned squares too, and I'm working on a crazy ghan with lots of different sized squares. Send them on! :) That would be just fine. I'll either add a couple rounds to make them larger, or I'll make them into scarves (which we'll start donating about September time) or I'll put them together to make a tote bag.... The options really are endless for squares! :) Thanks so much!

Victoria

Great! Please PM your address to me and I'll get them in the mail! :D

Colleen

Hi everyone! I wanted to announce that we're doing some fun traveling afghans! The idea, if you're not familiar with it, is that you pair up with one or two other ladies in the group online. You discuss what yarns you have, and come up with a pattern that you like. Then, one of you starts it, mails it out to the next person, to the next person, until it's done. The last person mails it to me, and I donate it to DHR. :) This is fun! I'll give you more details if you're interested.

Have a great weekend!

Victoria

Archived