Steel vs aluminum hooks for thread

CrochettingMama

I was wondering what the difference is when using a steel hook for thread?

I know you can use an aluminum hook if it is small enough but what is the difference between the two hooks for thread?

I have never ever ventured into thread---until now and I am making bandages.

It's tedious IMO because it uses such a small hook.

I have a pattern for a bookmark that I want to try now. Small projects seem a little more manageable!!

Thanks for any insight!!

Smaller hooks need to be made out of steel because plastic or aluminum would bend or break too easily at that skinny size. I've never seen a plastic or aluminum hook in anything smaller than a "B", I think.

You can use a B or slightly larger with thicker thread (like 3 or 5). But it looks kind of sloppy (in my opinion...maybe I should say 'very lacy looking' instead) with size 10 or smaller, more commonly used for doilies or bookmarks. For size 10 thread, a 7 hook is commonly used, although I use a 9 hook and you could probably get by with a 4or 5.

I've never seen aluminum hooks smaller than a B. Probably someone makes them somewhere. I've read that during the Irish potato famine poor people who wanted to crochet often would cut out part of the eye of a sewing needle and insert the point into a cork. That was their hook. I hope they managed to file away rough spots on the needle eye because it sounds dangerous, actually.

Aluminum hooks do come smaller than B, in 0 and 00. I have some vintage Bates and use them when using two strands of size 10 or those balls of double-strand variegated thread. In that thickness I prefer the aluminum to steel.

When thinner, of course, one must use steel.

Archived