Red Heart Crystalites

I went to Wal-Mart a couple days ago and splurged on some pretty yarn and a new hook. I usually like metal hooks but I've been dying to get a big hook and they only had Red Heart Crystalites plastic hooks. I bought an N15 and I must say...

I'm in love!!!! :manyheart I'm making a hammock for all the amigurumi to lay in and I can't believe how fast I'm getting it done! Has anyone used these before? They're really cheap but they're wonderful. Yay! I have a new favorite hook :hook

.....I have no right to be this excited about a simple plastic hook :lol

I love the big Crystallites too! :D I haven't tried the smaller ones simply because I love my Boye aluminums so much, but I have Crystallites in L-M-N-P and I just love using them!

I have the RedHeart Crystallites also in the larger size (bought the four pack, of course, with my coupon) and I like them. Usually I am not a fan of acrylic or plastic hooks but the larger sizes are more durable. I also found the smaller sizes on sale so of course I bought them (heaven forbid I don't have a complete set of sizes, LOL). And I used double and triple strands of yarn making pet blankets with the L and M hook and had no problem with it.

I tend to crochet a bit looser (depending on the pattern and stitch) so I may be able to get away with the smaller sizes for a simple stitch.

LI Roe

I only have the smaller set (G, H, etc.) and I find that they bend, which is bothersome when I am trying to work single crochets. For double and longer stitches they are okay. The clover hooks with the large handles are still my favorite.

I agree with crochetmom2 about the smaller hooks bending. I was using a G hook on a plane and the thing snapped in half. I figured I would take plastic vs metal on a flight. That was one heck of a long flight with nothing to do. My regular hooks were in the suitcase. I love the bigger sized ones, they are great! :manyheart

I bought the crystallites 4 pack in the larger sizes and I don't care for them that much. I do use them from time to time because I hate not to after spending the money for them and I am using the N one now a little ( i use it for a while and then switch back to my aluminum hook :lol) while working on my mom's ghan for xmas because it is a double strander. But overall, I don't like them and probably will not buy any more of them

• 2 weeks later...

I gave all my larger hooks to my mother who hopes to crochet a fabric rug with them. I found the larger Crystalites easier to use than the small ones. The small ones bend very easily. The plastic, sparkly JoAnn's hooks seem sturdier.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived