no sew - Lining a purse?

Hi all,:flower

I made the crochet ripple bag for my sister...and I'd like to line it. However my sewing skills are not that great snd takes soooo long. I was wondering if I could use 'fusible interfacing'? You iron it (I believe) and the heat fuses it together. So I'd fuse it to the lining and then to the purse? It's acrylic yarn so would that even work? Or is the "fusible" part only on one side?:confused I am so confused...

Is there anyway I can line it with out having to sew?? :ohdear Please help!!

Thank you to anyone who can help me sort this out!

Angela

The fusible interfacing may or may not work for you. It really depends on your yarn. The yarn may absorb the glue used by the interfacing and not really stick to your purse in areas. Also I believe the interfacing is more for a temporary bond until you sew the item.

There is a product called Stitch Witch which is also a heat bonding type of glue. I use it to put in hems in pants. It works wonderful and holds up to washing very well. It also comes in different strengths. Still, I'd try it on a swatch of the yarn you are using and the same stitch pattern to be totally sure. I'm just worried about all the nooks and cranies created by the crochet stitches.

BTW Stitch Witch is usually found in the notion areas at most fabric stores.

I would definitely NOT try anything fusible. I used to sew a lot and any fusible interfacing that I ever used required a steam iron set on the "wool" setting to fuse the two pieces together. Then you have to press the iron to the fabric for at least 30 seconds. Not sure what that would do to your yarn, but I bet it wouldn't be good. Not to mention, trying to get the iron inside the purse in order to press the lining to the actual purse.

I've seen many links to tutorials on purse lining here on the forum. I looked, but unfortunately do not have any of them bookmarked, so you might just try searching here or on google for purse lining instructions. It really isn't that hard, and remember, you don't have to machine sew. Hand sewing will work just as well as long as you keep the stitches small. If you can crochet a purse, I bet you can hand sew a lining and put it in.

Good luck, give it a try and be sure to post pictures when you're finished.

Katie G :hug

I bring mine to the tailors!!!! She did a wonderful job for $5.00!!!! :cheer

question for ya hon.........

when you take your bag/purses... do you supply the fabric?

:mug

I supplied the fabric all but once. And the fabric she put in was so much nicer than what I had. That cost an extra $2.00 or $3.00

brilliant .......... thank you dear... appreciate the info!!!:hug

:mug

The fusible interfacing may or may not work for you. It really depends on your yarn. The yarn may absorb the glue used by the interfacing and not really stick to your purse in areas. Also I believe the interfacing is more for a temporary bond until you sew the item.

There is a product called Stitch Witch which is also a heat bonding type of glue. I use it to put in hems in pants. It works wonderful and holds up to washing very well. It also comes in different strengths. Still' date=' I'd try it on a swatch of the yarn you are using and the same stitch pattern to be totally sure. I'm just worried about all the nooks and cranies created by the crochet stitches.

BTW Stitch Witch is usually found in the notion areas at most fabric stores.[/quote']

Thanks so much for responding...I have the same concern about the nooks and crannies...

I would definitely NOT try anything fusible. I used to sew a lot and any fusible interfacing that I ever used required a steam iron set on the "wool" setting to fuse the two pieces together. Then you have to press the iron to the fabric for at least 30 seconds. Not sure what that would do to your yarn, but I bet it wouldn't be good. Not to mention, trying to get the iron inside the purse in order to press the lining to the actual purse.

I've seen many links to tutorials on purse lining here on the forum. I looked, but unfortunately do not have any of them bookmarked, so you might just try searching here or on google for purse lining instructions. It really isn't that hard, and remember, you don't have to machine sew. Hand sewing will work just as well as long as you keep the stitches small. If you can crochet a purse, I bet you can hand sew a lining and put it in.

Good luck, give it a try and be sure to post pictures when you're finished.

Katie G :hug

Thank you as well for responding...I have some links bookmarked on how to line a purse. I made a FBB a while back and I did a good job on the lining it just took so long...I was just looking for the easy way out...lol

It is black and hot pink...but black for the most part. That makes it had to see the stitches and the lining is black so that makes it all the more hard. I sewed the ling together once but its inside out.. or.. right side in?:think It is the opposite of the way it should be once inside the purse:eek So then I was a little :angry...all that work!! Good thing I got a yard of the fabric. But alas, I will give it another go.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Angela

Fusible 'stitch witchery' stuff only works with tightly woven, smooth fabric, that you can apply a lot of heat to, and even then it doesn't always 'stay put' for long. It works "ok" on a hem, which doesn't take wear an tear, but think of how much wear and tear a purse lining would take--it would rip right out.

Fusible interfacing works because interfacing is usually also sewn in, and it's in a place where it can't go anywhere if the fusing fails (like, the inside of a collar). It would not adhere well to textured crochet work. Not only that, but if it's acrylic you will melt it!

If you decide to sew a lining by hand, I would suggest using the backstitch to do it. Backstitch is very easy and probably the strongest stitch you could make. It's not hard, really! Just remember to keep your stitches fairly small but they don't have to be tiny. The directions I've linked to talk about embroidery, but it is one of the mainstay stitches for all handstitching.

Fusable interfacing is really just a stiffener, not for sticking stuff together, and the adhesive is only on one side. Depending on your stich pattern, you might want to try buttons. If you have an open enough pattern in the right spots, you could use the spaces for holes

Archived