LYS Envy

I was at my local LYS, stocking up on my stash (because I really needed to, haha). I limited myself to €6 and for this manage to buy 5 odd balls (hurray!) While standing at the cash register I noticed the lady in front of me was buying the most beautiful multi-coloured yarn - Noro of Japan was the brand name. I mean, it was GORGEOUS - rainbow-coloured, from deep indigo to fiery red. I was struck by longing - till I saw the price: €15 ($25) PER SKEIN!!! :eekAnd she bought SIX!!! Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods, my foot.... drooooooooool! :hook

Noro is a rather pricey, but nice brand.....I've only used it once, to make a felted backpack. It was really nice to work with......

I have plans to try the sock yarn......for socks.

I love Noro's colors....but I do agree, I don't like to knit or crochet with it. I have only used Noro Kureyon. I made a felted bag with it. The Kureyon is really rough with bits of woodsy things in it....but it does felt beautifully! I think I am going to try the sock yarn though....sometime soon.

Check the sock yarn; it may be hand wash only. Some in my LYS were really upset that the sock yarn was still hand wash. I could be wrong, cause thus far all I have done is drool...my coworker just knitted a "Booga Bag" out of it and it is soooo beautiful. I have used the Cotton/Silk Blend and I loved it. I have a bunch of it for sale on my etsy store as, the person I bought it for hated the color, and Im not a green fan. I did use some to make a seraphina for my supervisor for the holidays and it worked up great. Beautiful stuff!

I am using the Kureyon to make a vest, and I love it :hug! The beauty of the colors far outweighs the oddity of the fiber (which I also happen to like). Besides, I was brought up to know that "real" yarn was the coarse, scratchy stuff (my mom was a wool-aholic), and Kureyon isn't that bad. ;)

BTW, the skein I inherited had a price tag of $7.50--I wonder where mom foune that?! :eek

Archived