Yarn at the garage sale

Every year, a group of us do a multifamily garage sale for the American Cancer Society. It's a good way to earn the money for the Relay for Life event.

This year, we had stuff from over 20 families to sell.

I did check out customers for the days. One lady came up with a bunch of pretty yarn that I had not seen before.

So I asked another worker about it and I got to choose from a box of yarn. I took 6 skeins, two light blue, two whites and two cream colored.

For 25 cents each, who could resist. It did play havoc with my stashbusting score, but I'll use it in making hats for charities.

We raised over $1,500 in two days. I think that's terrific.

How does that sound to you?

:manyheart

That's a whopping good sale, I'd say! Now that it's finally warming up, I'm longing to hit the garage sales and have starting saving cash. You never know what might be lurking in all those bins lining the driveways:manyheart My town has always had their citywide sales in September as part of our Fall Festival, but this year their having the sales in June..I can barely wait!

I have never run across yarn at a garage sale! You are so lucky, I would have bought the whole box!

Annie's Attic has a big sale on yarn going on right now... I am SO tempted... even tho I know I don't need it, and have too much stash (for me)... some of it is really hard to find around here.

That is wonderful! I've heard that yard sales and consignment shops were good places to go yarn shopping. I've thought about checking them out, but I wonder if you have to wash the yarn somehow before using it? After all, if you buy from someone you don't know, you never know if they took care of their stash, so it might be dirty. How would you even wash a skein of yarn?

That's GREAT!!!..I bought a whole BOX of yarn for 10.00 at a yard sale..What was even weirder than that is my hubby went to the yard sale and saw it first..And he ACTUALLY came home to tell me about it..lol...I LOVE yard sales..

Aren't garage sales great! I have picked up lots of yarn at sales.

I've thought about checking them out, but I wonder if you have to wash the yarn somehow before using it? After all, if you buy from someone you don't know, you never know if they took care of their stash, so it might be dirty. How would you even wash a skein of yarn?

I have never gotten dirty yarn at a sale...if it looked dirty it didn't come home with me! I know there are a few out there that have washed a whole skein of yarn....just seems like too much work for me. I would rather wash the finished item or not buy the dirty yarn!

Aren't garage sales great! I have picked up lots of yarn at sales.

I have never gotten dirty yarn at a sale...if it looked dirty it didn't come home with me! I know there are a few out there that have washed a whole skein of yarn....just seems like too much work for me. I would rather wash the finished item or not buy the dirty yarn!

I've not had to wash yarn that was dirty, but if I did, it'd have to be more than 1 skein. I guess I'd take the lable off, put a rubber band around it, wash in woolite on the gentle cycle:think if it is a great bargain and enough of the yarn to use, i might consider it though.

Every year, a group of us do a multifamily garage sale for the American Cancer Society. It's a good way to earn the money for the Relay for Life event.

This year, we had stuff from over 20 families to sell.

I did check out customers for the days. One lady came up with a bunch of pretty yarn that I had not seen before.

So I asked another worker about it and I got to choose from a box of yarn. I took 6 skeins, two light blue, two whites and two cream colored.

For 25 cents each, who could resist. It did play havoc with my stashbusting score, but I'll use it in making hats for charities.

We raised over $1,500 in two days. I think that's terrific.

How does that sound to you?

sounds good to me:cheer

Oh, love that garage sale yarn! And sometimes, it has cool old hooks in it. I can't resist it, especially if it's $5 or less for a whole box. Some are winners, some are strange, but it's so much fun to look at it!

WOW, that was a terrific sale. Congrats on the yarn find, too!

Yes, it was a great sale.

The lady whose house it is at every year lost her husband to cancer at age 44. So this sale is in honor of David, plus everyone else who is battling cancer.

We had about 20 families donate goods to this sale, including furniture. A loveseat, a china cabinet, a set of six dining room chairs, a table and chair set, and tons of other things all were sold at the sale.

It is a very good cause. And people are very generous. A lot of times they would have items totaling say $3 and they would give a five dollar bill and say keep the change because it is going to the cancer fund.

I just feel very lucky to be able to help out.

You did awesome on your fundraiser :cheer I work for a non profit hospice and we do all kinds of fundraisers for them as well.

Great find on the yarn! I have found that estate sales are even better for finding yarn and other crafts. We had a lot of them where I lived in the Chicago burbs, but now I'm in a rural area and there aren't too many :(. I have found some at thrift stores, though.

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

Archived