Recycled Pop-Top Granny Square (for Earth Day!)

Becks

I finally finished a vest I have been working on for two years. It took so long mainly because of needing to collect 960 pop tabs for the whole thing!

Anyway, I've made up a tutorial page on how to make a pop tab granny square so you-all can make your own squares too.

Recycled Pop Top Granny Square

Granny squares are so versatile and you can join them together to make just about anything your heart desires. Belts, purses, hats, (and vests!)

I'm going to post about the vest too but here's a picture for you-all to get an idea how the squares look when joined together.

th_DSC00001-20.jpg

It takes four tabs to make a square so start saving and recycling them now!!! :)

earthdaya1.gif

Wow, this is really thinking outside the box! I'll bet you could make squares like this with the tabs and crochet with the plastic grocery bag strips and join the squares to make a mesh-like tote bag; it would then be 100% recycled material and I bet it would be VERY sturdy...or how about a "welcome mat" outside the door? You would be able to hose it off since the materials are plastic and aluminum. Just some thoughts.....!:)

Those are great ideas! :clap

Just joining the squares in a row would make a nice belt, (although too wide for a pants' belt loop probably).

4 X 4 squares each side, (a front and back), would make the size for a deck of cards. (I just checked by holding up a deck to it. 2 X 4 each side was just too narrow. There would be no depth to it for the width of the cards. So, 4 X 4 would work nicely.) Add a strap and you've got a nice card carrying pouch or sack. An extra 2 square on one side would make a flap for closing over as for a purse.

A CD case is 3 X 3 squares.

• 5 weeks later...

That vest is awesome and beautiful. Tremendously clever project! :clapThanks so much for sharing and for the inspiration!:yay

Archived