Sore fingers!!

moggy

I am a new addictee of thread crochet - I finished my first doilie yesterday (see show and tell!) but I got quite sore fingers in the process....

I wrap the yarn up between my little finger and ring finger, then over the top of the rest and down between my first and thumb - tensioning with my middle finger so my ring finger was getting sore. Also my first finger where I was using it to poke the number 7 steel hook into some of the stitches....

I thought of wrapping my fingers in some sort of tape but didn't want to get my thread sticky if it starts peeling off at the sides.... anyone got any better sugestions or does this problem disappear after you've been doing it a while? Advice from the experts would be appreciated! Thank you :hook

The tape doesn't work - I've tried it. What did help A LOT was to find the right tension for me to hold the thread. I had to do the same thing while working with kitchen cotton.

You can't use the same hold and tension on the different materials because they are so different. Once you do get tension right - you'll know it! and your hands won't hurt.

Mine don't hurt if I don't overdo it. Unfortunately, I've got a big table scarf going now that I'm trying to finish before Mothers' Day and am crocheting a lot. I am getting thread burn across my forefinger of my left hand and carpel tunnel (or something, anyway) in my wrists. I've got a cream for eczema in the house so for the last couple of nights I've put the cream on my finger and a bandaid over it to keep the cream in that spot. It's much better than a couple of days ago. This morning I dug out my wrist braces and will try those for the aching hands and arms.

Bandageing the finger interferes with my ability to properly feel the hook and thread and I've never liked that solution. I hope you find something to help, moggy.

Hi moggy, if your having to push with your finger to get the stitches thru for your crocheting:crocheting, that tells me your hook :hookis too small or your stitches :crochetingare way to tight. You need to go down a crochet hook size down or 2. You should NOT have have to push your stitches thru to crochet like that. So if you using size 7 go down to a 5,,OR if your using a 7 you could also go down to 4 or 3 crochet hook. Let me know if that is better for you.

I'm also crocheting with thread at the moment making a table runner for a wedding gift. Hoping to get it done by the 20th of April. I'm using size 7:hook hook with size 10 thread.

sunnywolfgar

Ive found that where my fingers get sore the most is the upper middle finger and inner upper on my pinky. I just started using a air dry clay on those areas, or hook grippers(from hobby lobby or michaels). Other than that I just suggest MANY breaks to rest your little fingers.

Thanks for your replies all - I have been playing for about two hours this afternoon and my fingers aren't hurting!! Yay :yay....

I have slightly loosened my stitches, thanks sunnyw, so no more pushing and I have taken a deep breath and relaxed!! Happy fingers :D:clap

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I know what you mean about sore fingers - especially with thread!:yarn

One way I found to take the strain off a little was to hold a little stress ball in my left hand so that I wasn't "pushing" against myself - the tension was going either into the thread or into the ball.

If you want something scary:eek have been known to end up with bleeding fingers after working with wire....

Manda

Archived