Ripple design help

I am making a ripple using two colors - orange and blue for the NY Mets.

I love seeing everyong's finished projects and they seem to jump out at me. I want mine to do the same.

Question - How do you determine how many rounds to do with each color?

I just started one and did 6 rounds in the first color and then started the second. I think its definately too many rounds.

Any help would be appreciated

Why not try doing three rows of each color? I even thought about doing one of each, but not only would that be a major pain with all the end-weaving, the finished product might come out looking like that jigsaw puzzle that they used to sell in Spencer Gifts that had the red and blue spiral! :lol I think that three rows of each would be good, though. It would give you more color changes and lend more visual interest to the afghan. OR... How about this... Do three rows of the color and then in between the two colors do a row of white sc? Just tossing out some ideas here.

It depends on your pattern-sc or dc? I'd say 3-4 rows dc, or 6-8 sc, but that's 'me'.

I'd play with a swatch, and/or go to CPC and find ripple stripes that are visually appealing to you and look at how many rows those patterns suggest.

Good luck!

I am doing a round ripple using DC - I have looked at other patterns, but what I have seen, they are all using more than two colors

Swatches sound like a great idea - even though I hate doing swatches

I just started and did three in the first color and two in the second and was going to change colors at this point

I am still open to more suggestions - thanks

Janet, I have done some in just 2 colors. If you want to take a look at what I have done, you can look here. I have all of my round ripples here (well, I am missing a few since I forgot to take pictures before I gave them away).

Thank You Janet.

I normally crochet the first six rows with the main color, then continue on with whatever color change I feel like doing. I sometimes do swatches, but when I do them, I do them as a regular ripple, not a round. Takes less time that way.

i always vary the number of rows of a color i do in a round ripple to keep my interest peeked. i can usually tell how many rows i need of a color just by looking at it. i usually do no more than three rows of one color - its not so back in the beginning when your rounds are small but when you rounds get bigger it seems never ending. i usually play around with 3 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 3 - something along those lines.

How about: Color A - 3, Color B - 2, A -1, B - 2, A - 2, B - 1, A - 2, B - 2, A -1, B - 2, A - 2, B - 1, A - 2, B - 2, A -1, B - 2, until it is almost as big as you want and finish off with A - #.

I do four rows of color then change. The pattern I am doing has two small shells then two large shells so it is easy for the color change to do it in rows of four.

Archived