Where to find easy-to-hold hooks?

Hi there,

Does anyone use larger hooks--as in for people with arthritis and other mobility issues? I have Ehlers-Danlos and would really like to find hooks easier to hold.

Any experience or tips for this?

Thanks!

A C Moore has Crochet Cushions. They are foam tubes that fit over hooks. I just love them. They make the hooks much nicer to hold. I believe Herrschner's has them too.

Hi there,

Does anyone use larger hooks--as in for people with arthritis and other mobility issues? I have Ehlers-Danlos and would really like to find hooks easier to hold.

Any experience or tips for this?

Thanks!

Look for Trigger Hooks - they have large, kind of gun shaped handles which are easy on the arthritic hands. Walmart has an interchangeable hook tip set with a similar shaped handle. Tips are worsted weight sizes, I believe.

What I did to my hooks was to add the foam cushions and then add a gelly pencil grip.

The foam alone will break down if you use it a lot and the pencil grip makes it wonderful to work with.

I found the interchangeable set at Wal-Mart yesterday. Very cool!

While out of town yesterday I found their local yarn store and found out they have a man who enjoys making wooden hook holders/modifications/etc so the owner was going to call him and talk to him about my situation and get back to me. :D

Herschnerr's has trigger hooks on sale this week (G,H,I) for $10 each. You can get a peek at them on the bottom of the yarn sale page.

The craft store guy might be able to fashion something similar with a hollow center to fit any whole hook you already have, securing it with a lock-nut like they do drill bits (similar to the walmart kit, just not tips only).

I'd considered both the triggers and walmark ones, but I like to have multiple projects going of different stitches and hook sizes (I get sore and bored with only one), so neither is a cheap option for me :-)

I just received some steel crochet hooks with plastic handles from http://www.needlepointjoint.com - a website I happened to stumble on. Haven't tried them yet, but they appear to be about the same as the Boye steel hooks except they have larger plastic handles. Prices are reasonable. They have a large selection of crochet and afghan hooks as well. I ordered some of the Skacel hooks, too, which I'm eager to try. sigh...if only I had more hands, LOL.

Beverly

Beverly

I found the interchangeable set at Wal-Mart yesterday. Very cool!

I got that Provocraft set from Walmart a few weeks ago because I have carpal tunnel and my wrist hates me, but it likes me more when I use those hooks! :lol

I just received some steel crochet hooks with plastic handles from http://www.needlepointjoint.com - a website I happened to stumble on. Haven't tried them yet, but they appear to be about the same as the Boye steel hooks except they have larger plastic handles. Prices are reasonable. They have a large selection of crochet and afghan hooks as well. I ordered some of the Skacel hooks, too, which I'm eager to try. sigh...if only I had more hands, LOL.

Beverly

Beverly

Forgot to mention the brand of the hooks that I got. They are Inox and aren't available just anywhere. I think I'll order some of the larger sizes in the future. The hooks are very smooth..much like Addi turbo knitting needles. They feel great! Still haven't had a chance to try the afghan hooks yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi--I am new to crochetville. I love this site!! I am mostly a knitter, but lately have been doing more crocheting than knitting.

I have made my own handles using Sculpey polymer clay--the kind you bake in the oven. I just squish it to soften it up, wrap it around a metal crochet hook, hold it the way I hold my handles when crocheting which makes a perfect mold of my hand on the handle, and pop it in the oven at 275 degrees for about 30 - 40 minutes, and I get a perfect crochet hook handle with a very comfortable, custom made thumbrest!! This has helped my hand and wrist immensly, and I can crochet all evening without pain. I will post pics on my blog this afternoon of my hooks and handles.

www.afteronemorerow.blogspot.com

Archived