Beginners thread

Lollie2639

:manyheart whats the best thread for beginners? I am used to yarn. I am going to try my hand at making some of the beautiful beginner bookmarks some of you have posted. I just found this website crochetville yesterday and i am absolutely addicted to it. I just love it so much.

I have the most beautiful antique baby bib pattern for thread. Just let me know if you'd like it and will be glad to send it.

Crochet RN from Georgia

hmmm...have you tried fingering or lace weight yarn yet?? You could go there, then jump down to a #30 mercerized cotton, then down to a #10.

I honestly had more trouble with the hooks and not the yarn. Those little steels can be a bugger for my little fingers:P

Show us you first project with thread when you get to it

I jumped right in with #10 thread but like Kim, find the hooks are more of a bother than the thread itself. For one thing, some of my small hooks are shorter than I'm used to so that causes most of my problems. I'm thinking of adding some polymer clay to the shorter ones to make them longer. Hopefully that will help. I'll let you know once I've done it.

hi

i went to michaels and bought a roll of #3 cotton thread. it was on sale. its very soft and easy to work with. i started a bookmark but i have gotten stuck on the pattern. can you help? its row 1 i am having a prob with. you can see the pattern at http://www.geocities.com/safiya_ali/patterns/Butterflybkmk.html?200517

there is a note at the beginning that says that there was an error in row 1 that was corrected. i am not sure it was....or just dont know what i am doing :-)

i am stuck where it says tr in each of next 48 ch 4 tr in same ch as first tr, ss to 1st ch

the beginning ch was only 53 to begin with.......

Help!!!

[font=GaramondNo4CyrTCYLig][color=#000000][size=+1][b][font=GaramondNo4CyrTCYLig][color=#000000][size=+1][u]Row 1[/u]: tr in 4th ch from hook, tr in each of next 48 ch, 6 tr in next ch, tr in each of next 48 ch, 4 tr in same ch as first tr, ss to 1st ch.[/size][/color][/font][/b]  [/size][/color][/font]

You're working around the base chain. Basically you do your base chain. Then you work a tr into the 4th chain from the hook, tr in the next 48, then work 6 tr in the chain at the end. Here you actually turn your bookmark 180 degrees and work tr in the backside of the previous 48 tr you worked.

Basically you're working a tr into each side of your starting chain with additional trs at the ends. You do this by working in the round around the starting chain (which makes an oval in this case).

Does that help at all? I can draw a picture if that would be more useful. :)

hi

i am stuck where it says tr in each of next 48 ch 4 tr in same ch as first tr, ss to 1st ch

the beginning ch was only 53 to begin with.......

Help!!!

If I have this right, and I think I do, the next 48 that you are tr into are the second side of the chain. In other words, you tr in 4th chain from hook, then you tr in 48, 6tr in last chain. Then you go up the other side of the chain and tr 48, 4tr where the first tr is made, then you slip stitch in the top of the first loop you made when you tr in 4th chain from hook.

So you tr 4th chain from hook

tr in next 48

6tr in next chain

48 up back side of chain

4tr where first tr was made

slip stitch in top of loop.

Hope this helps.

I am bad at explaining.

That's the pattern I just did!!! Here's the deal...it's an oval pattern....so you work one side of the base chain, do a group in the end to go 'round the bend', then do the other side of the base chain. Does that help? The beginning chain was only 53 but double that because you're working on both sides of the base...so it's really 106....but don't count the ends because you're going to put lots of stitches in those.....so 106 - 2 ends = 104 ....48tr x 2sides = 96....so you have 8 stitches remaining (104-96=8) which are your turning chains....I sure hope this made some sense! I was trying to explain it in easier terms.

That pattern is written in British terms, so you need to translate them into American if you're used to reading patterns in American terms.

The author has a few conversions listed at the top of the pattern, but if you need help with the rest of the conversions, I'm sure just about anyone here can help (including myself!). :manyheart

Archived