Seraphina Yarn Suggestions

Ok, I'm making my first seraphina shawl and want a really special yarn for it, I just don't want to pay through the rough for it!! Do any of ya'll have any suggestions for a really pretty, beautiful, drapey kind of yarn that isn't to expensive?

P.S. I have the pattern figured out so that's not a big deal, it's just the yarn.

Also, have any of you had any experience with the following website:http://www.discountyarnsale.com ?

Are they good to do business with? Thanks a ton!!

Julee

I just finished a seraphina this very day :cheerafter so many starts and frogs.

I used Sensations Rainbow Boucle in the khaki/red colorway. It turned out beautifully and the price was VERY reasonable.

Also, have any of you had any experience with the following website:http://www.discountyarnsale.com ?

Are they good to do business with? Thanks a ton!!

Julee

I've bought yarn from them before and didn't have any trouble at all. The yarn arrived in a timely manner. :)

I've noticed a lot of people use the Rainbow Boucle yarn or Caron Simply Soft. I think it always looks beautiful no matter what yarn is used. I used Rowan Tapestry for my Seraphina Shawl. It was my first experience buying yarn from a yarn shop. I think it's a little on the spendy side, but it was worth it. :yes

Can't wait to see yours when you finish it. Good luck! :)

I've actually tried to crochet with the rainbow boucle yarn but I don't think it's the right kind of yarn for me. I finally just doubled it and made a hat out of it, and called it quits.

I'm thinking more of a simply soft sort of yarn (pliable, pretty, and maybe a little heavier). I'm just not sure which brands are good. I've always just used red heart and caron and just recently got into the nicer yarns.

(maybe I will use simply soft sometime though. Any Idea how much it'd take?)

Thanks, ya'll are wonderful!!

Julee

I'm glad to hear they're ok. They have alot of things that alot of stores don't. And I like the fact that you buy it by the bag. That's kinda neat.

I'll have to check out the Rowan tapestry yarn.

Well, off to crochet again.

Thanks startigerlily

Julee

I've bought yarn from them before and didn't have any trouble at all. The yarn arrived in a timely manner. :)

I've noticed a lot of people use the Rainbow Boucle yarn or Caron Simply Soft. I think it always looks beautiful no matter what yarn is used. I used Rowan Tapestry for my Seraphina Shawl. It was my first experience buying yarn from a yarn shop. I think it's a little on the spendy side, but it was worth it. :yes

Can't wait to see yours when you finish it. Good luck! :)

i like using homespun for my seraphinas. the colorway in them is gorgous. i am on my second homespun seraphina. you can use as little as 4 skeins - the one i am working on now i am going for 6 skeins. i origanlly started with the joanns boucle and coul not work with it - but that too makes a good colorway.

if you don't mind a strait solid color try the caron simply soft. with the homespun though you always get a different pattern.

good luck can't wait to see what you come up with.

i like using homespun for my seraphinas. the colorway in them is gorgous. i am on my second homespun seraphina. you can use as little as 4 skeins - the one i am working on now i am going for 6 skeins. i origanlly started with the joanns boucle and coul not work with it - but that too makes a good colorway.

if you don't mind a strait solid color try the caron simply soft. with the homespun though you always get a different pattern.

good luck can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look at some of the homespun they have in walmart next time I'm there and see if I can find a color I like.

Thanks kkms!!

Julee

I've now made three... Lion Brand Microspun, Joanne's Rainbow Boucle, and Sirdar Blur. They're all very different but an earlier poster had it right - the pattern looks gorgeous in any yarn!

The Blur one might be my favourite - so light I can barely feel it but SO nice and warm! :)

Heather

I'm making one out of Lion Brand 'Colorwaves', it is a red shade, with other colors worked in. Its similar to a boucle, but unlike the Lion boucle, or Homespun, it doesn't stretch down the center yarn, all the 'fluffy' stuff stays in place. I tried boucle, and after hating it, Homespun moved further down the list of things to try, hehe.

Add me to the list of agreeing that this would look great in any yarn. When I looked at the site for the pattern, the pic she has of the three yarns made me think of 'Moonlight Mohair' used with Simply Soft, one of my fave combos.

Can't wait to see what you use!

I've made two now. TLC Essentials for the first, and Lion Brand Pound of Love for the second.

I have some of the Rainbow Sensations on hand for more, but have other projects I need to finish first.

I do have some lionbrand pound of love, I'd also really love to try a shawl with sirdar though. I'm really starting to love those other more expensive brands (especially when they're 40% off- a little yarn shop her has a 40% percent off sale every year for certain people {people who have a stitching sisters keychain}). It's really fun, I couldn't afford to buy alot but I did buy some beautifully soft yarn that I would have never been able to try otherwise!!

Anywho!! I really love the way this pattern looks. It looks really neat.

The first shawl pattern that really makes me go BONKERS!!

Have a good night

Julee

Archived