Books for hookers

So, ladies (and gentlemen)...

I have very few crochet books because they are hard to come by in English here in Germany and I have pretty much had all the German ones in my hands at one point or another. The alternative is to order from Amazon, but often the only excerpts are from the first few pages or introductions, so you don't have a good idea of the quality of the book. I thought it might be interesting - especially for newbies like me :D - to put together a few crochet book reviews. As avid crocheters, it might be nice to pass on a few recommendations (or warnings(. I would suggest you put the name of the book in the title box and perhaps add a star rating from one to five - one being the worst and five the best - so we can easily find the reviews of books that interest us. What about it?

Stitch' Bitch Crochet - The Happy Hooker - Grade: C- / ***

This book is essentially for people who cannot crochet at all - anyone who has ever attempted a granny square will find a lot of this book superfluous. I had read great reviews of this on Amazon but when I was given it as a present at Xmas, I was essentially disappointed. Compared to the knitters' book, this one just lacks 'ooomph', confirming once again that crochet is just the ugly stepsister to the two-needle-Cinderellas. :( The patterns were not to my personal taste and once I had read through it, I put it on my shelf and haven't taken it down since.

On the plus side: it is a nice resource for a beginner and the writer is to be commended for her attempt to make crochet and crocheters sexy (but hey, we've known we were sexy for, like, ages, right?) She gives a brief sketch of the history of the craft and an overview of the tools and wools.

All in all, okay but no great shakes. The writer is primarily a knitter and I think that's where her real passion lies. Unfortunately I personally felt that this came across.

200 CROCHET BLOCKS - Jan Eaton - Grade: B / ****

A very nice resource for afghan fans (like me) - a handy-sized paperback with clear instructions and nice pictures. Always something new to try out or adapt.

My only gripe - and the reason I docked a star off the rating - was the fact that there aren't, in fact, 200 squares. I mean, there ARE lots of patterns, it's true but sometimes there are 4-5 colour variations of one actual pattern and each colour variation is counted as a new square. Boo! That's FIBBING!!

However, that aside, this is a book I take down and refer to again and again and I have learned a few new patterns from it. Recommended!

Just wanted to pop in and say I think this is a great idea! the thread will probably end up with more than review of each book and we'll be able to use them all. I don't have time right now to post any reviews, but I'll come back and do that.

Just wanted to pop in and say I think this is a great idea! the thread will probably end up with more than review of each book and we'll be able to use them all. I don't have time right now to post any reviews, but I'll come back and do that.

The more reviews of the same book, the better! As long as we try to state what we like and dislike, and maybe keep the titles in the title bar for easy orientation, this could be quite nice.

Well, here is the second review of the same book. I agree with everything Miss Crochet said. It is a very useful book with good advice. However, there are not 200 different blocks. A lot of the 200 are color variations of the same block.

However very useful and a good reference.

Very valuable reference for anyone who is interested in crocheting clothing or clothing design. It is readable and easy to understand. With just a little basic knowledge gives great tips on improving the look and fit of crocheted clothing.

I am just getting into designing clothing and I loved it. Now I have to go buy a new program to help graph stitches. She mentioned one in the book and I looked it up online and could see how helpful it would be when using the fancier stitches. Oh well it's only money. ;)

This is a must-have reference for every crocheter! Lots of stitches, ranging from very easy to difficult explained throughly. Contains both written instructions and graphs of each stitch. Includes sections on granny squares,shapes, flowers among many other patterns. Spiral bound so it lays flat while working. Best part is it doesn't talk down to the reader like a lot of books will.

Get this book! Well worth the money! I use it constantly. :manyheart

This is a must-have reference for every crocheter! Lots of stitches, ranging from very easy to difficult explained throughly. Contains both written instructions and graphs of each stitch. Includes sections on granny squares,shapes, flowers among many other patterns. Spiral bound so it lays flat while working. Best part is it doesn't talk down to the reader like a lot of books will.

Get this book! Well worth the money! I use it constantly. :manyheart

I'm glad to hear this! I just ordered it from Amazon, it should be here Saturday. :)

Begins with a history of crochet, and has photos of historical pieces and varieties of hooks. Has a section on types of yarn and thread. Includes several patterns for projects such as a cable scarf, a child's granny square poncho, and the "Philosopher's Coat" which combines a lot of textural stitches. Has very clear drawings of how to make a number of stitches, shown for both left- and right-handers. Includes written directions, diagrams, and very clear photos of stitch patterns and motifs. A good section on the symbols used in diagrams. Has a very good index. It is a large book and very well laid out and easy to use. Would be an excellent first crochet book, but has inspiration for the experienced crocheter too. Lots of eye candy in the beautiful photos.

These 2 volumes contain so much stitching inspiration! There is a clear photo for each stitch pattern as well as written directions and a diagram. You can find just about any stitch pattern here that has ever been used in crochet. There are a number of excellent patterns for squares and other motifs, as well as Irish crochet.

There is a short section at the begining of each volume with drawings showing how to make stitches...from chain stitch to Solomon's knot and bullion stitch. Also different methods of joining motifs are covered, and how to join in a new yarn. There is very good information on the symbols used in diagrams and how to use diagrams.

I know this book has already been rated, but I thought maybe a different perspective would be good.

I used this book to get better with my crocheting, going from knowing how to make just double crochet to learning all the other stitches, etc. So I would recommend it for beginners who are just learning to crochet. I still use it as a reference if I am not sure about something, and it has helped me to tackle more complicated projects and even start designing some of my own patterns.

As for the patterns, I have made several of them. The sock-monkey afghan was a big hit for my nephew, and I have made the fuzzy bunny slippers, which were also a big hit. I am going to start on the flower scarf here in the next couple of weeks. What I would say about her patterns is that they are for a younger crowd, and I do wish that there were more patterns for afghans, since I really love to make those.

Pros - really easy to follow directions and the author is amusing. This is a great book for beginners and a good quick reference for the rest of us.

Cons - The author is a knitter, and I agree that she seems to definitely prefer knitting since I got her SnB, The Knitter's Handbook for x-mas and have had the opportunity to compare.

This is one of my personal favorites! It has 500 different stitches... With colored photos, Written instruction, and a diagram of each stitch. It is one of those books that I feel lost without and use alot! It is a great reference book.:clap

I thought this looked like a real hip book... but I was very disappointed with this book. The patterns I found where not something I think are "useful". I love something a bit "kooky"... But would like them to have a purpose. These patterns are just for looks I think. There were maybe only 2 patterns in the whole book that I may make someday. One being a togo coffee cup cosy that is very cute.

On the bright side ... it is a fun book to look at! The merchandising of the projects for the photos is suburb! Very bright fun photos!

I am finding this book very informative and easy to understand. I just recently made my first pair of socks using a pattern from this book.

It has good photos, instructions that are easy to follow, good diagrams for the different stitches.

by Valerie VanArsdale Shrader

If you like American History and love color, you will definitely like this book. The color display of several patterns is what originally attracted me to the book, then the variety of different patterns.

Pros:

Inspirationally colorful with 40 different patterns to choose from. Some traditional some unusual, something for every taste. The book has a nice explanation of the history of crochet and state fairs and how crochet was introduced and came to be an integral part of juried arts.

Cons:

This book is not for beginners. Very condensed on the patterns with most being only 1/2 to one page. Not for the beginner- without help. No reference area except for one small list of stitich abbreviations. "Different" stitches are briefly explained in each pattern.

Ripples, Grannies, Samplers, Arans, Squares, 3D, Panels, Plaids, Babies, Popcorn even a cute Halloween pattern.

view a few pages: http://search2.barnesandnoble.com/BookViewer/?ean=9781579904142

A compact book, easy to carry with you. In a question and answer format, covers a wide range of information, including hooks and tools; yarns and materials; beginning chains and foundation stitches; gauge and tension; how to make shapes including granny squares, formula for making a flat circle, how to make triangles, semicircles, ovals, and tubes; how to read patterns and schematics; how to measure a person for fitting a garment; how to crochet borders and get edges to lie flat; how to make buttons and buttonholes; finishing: how to weave in ends, blocking, joining and seaming. Includes brief info on techniques such as Tunisian and filet. Has a long list of common abbreviations and diagram symbols, a template for doily blocking that can be copied and enlarged, a chart listing the mm sizes and American letters/numbers for hooks (and a separate chart where you can inventory your hook sizes), a place to list the body measurements of several people you crochet for, a list of standard sizes for children and adults, and suggested standard sizes for articles such as afghans, placemats, and scarves.

Archived