Question about stuffing...

diamond

Question

Has anyone stuffed a crocheted animal with anything other than fiberfill? Here's my quandry....I'm making a stuffed tropical fish Hooked On Fish for Brendan's Boxes but the fish pattern is mainly large shells. I'm afraid if I stuff the fish with fiberfill it may come out the stitches. So I was thinking some really soft/silky towels or t-shirts would work better. Something in colors that would go with the yarn colors. I would really appreciate any input regarding this as I'm getting near the end and will need to stuff him soon.

Thanx all, you're the best!!! :hook

16 answers to this question

how about putting the stuff in the panty hose? then stuff the little "pillow" inside

This would probably be the best idea. As far as using a smaller hook, although the soap keeper is a good idea, I want the fish to be snuggle toy, something to be played with. I'm using the hook & yarn size stated in the pattern. I'm not a loose crocheter, it's just the shells that are leaving a small hole. The pattern uses large shells (5 dc in st) and small shells (3 dc in st) to give the appearance of scales on a fish. I should be done with it today and will post a picture & what I decided to do about the stuffing. Thanx all, you've given me some great ideas. I'll let you know what I end up doing. :ghug

you could likely pick up a pair of blue or other dark color tights at a thrift store, and stuff the fiberfill in that then in the fish...

That's what I hoping to do today. Find some tights in an approximate color and stuff them. GMTA, Kay!

I've stuffed things before with bits of yarn and stuffing . Mainly to keep the white fiberfill from showing through. Someone needs to make colored stuffing. The only things is if you stuff it with other things it has to be worked with to make sure it doesn't get all lumpy.

Ditto! My biggest problem with fiberfill other than it can sneak out the holes is it's white! The tropical fish I'm making is in shades of blues, greens, & teals. The white will definately show thru.

I've stuffed things before with bits of yarn and stuffing . Mainly to keep the white fiberfill from showing through. Someone needs to make colored stuffing. The only things is if you stuff it with other things it has to be worked with to make sure it doesn't get all lumpy.

:rofl That was my intention when I said that. :rofl Actually, tho, I was thinking of making a brown worm to hang out of his mouth but then I thought...NAH.....:rofl

What about stuffing it with pieces of the same color yarn? :think

I think the yarn would definately come out the holes, but then again, it would look like worms! :rofl:eek

What about some sort of soft but firm Tulle, net type material. Would be light and washable. I have not tried it but could be good.

Have you made the fish already? If not, what about working on a smaller hook to minimise the holes. The fish will be smaller but may be easier to stuff.

Colleen.:hug

I have just looked at the web-site with the picture. You should be able to sew a shape the same size as the fish and stuff that then put it inside the fish. The fins etc are not stuffed so it should work.

If you made one out of nylon ribbon type stuff, you could put a cake of soap inside and it could be used as a bath toy. The soap could go inside a small bag made of mesh.

:hug

Great ideas! Pantyhose would be soft and I could probably get some in colors....and the strips of material would work as well and not as costly. I'm not a big pantyhose person plus I think I would have to buy new ones....wouldn't want a little one snuggling up to worn pantyhose (although clean). :rofl Thanx for the great help.

Archived