"snowflake mondays" a past post i had seen UPDATE WEEK #4

tangled up

It's starting to get a little wierd around here. I printed this one out yesterday! I'm on a big push here for the holidays. Hubby asked for 2 dozen flakes to give to friends. I hadn't planned on that! I have plans for most of my 52! Anyway.....

I've been making lots of ours to make up the 24 and thought maybe there are some more easy patterns out there.

I really like this one. Thanks!

:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire regards,

:mdust:mdust:mdust:mdust:mdust Cosmo :mdust:mdust:mdust:mdust:mdust

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rofl

Must be that ol' fairy telepathy...

I have strictly forbidden myself to work on anything that is not Christmas related (except in aid of my crochet students - my last class is tonight) until I have it all finished...

Luckily, I count snowflakes as Christmas related :)

:flake:mdust Wanda :mdust:manyheart

It's starting to get a little wierd around here. I printed this one out yesterday! I'm on a big push here for the holidays. Hubby asked for 2 dozen flakes to give to friends. I hadn't planned on that! I have plans for most of my 52! Anyway.....

I've been making lots of ours to make up the 24 and thought maybe there are some more easy patterns out there.

I really like this one. Thanks!

Just a few thoughts/questions:

Next year do we want to keep it as Snowflake Mondays (there is a certain ring to it :D) or would we prefer Snowflake Fridays or Snowflake Saturdays to give folks the weekend to do the flake while it is fresh and new?

I was thinking that we might do the list update monthly rather than weekly as it does get to be a bit much to handle, but could be convinced to do otherwise... unless unforseen circs take me out of the running, I plan to be with the CAL for the year, so would be happy to initiate the thread if people were cool with that and to take on the responsibility of keeping an updated list in the initial post throughout the year (this one updated weekly as possible)...

Do we like the idea of keeping the CAL thread going all year or would we want to break the CAL into smaller threads - monthly or quarterly or somesuch?

Lastly, are we happy to include flakes that were mentioned on the 2008 thread, but that never made it onto THE LIST?

Cheers,

Hi all,

Did we appoint the "dainty snowflake" or the "enchanted snowflake" as week 46?

Cheers,

Wanda the list tidying fairy :D

I did em both. :D So either one works for me.

Next year do we want to keep it as Snowflake Mondays (there is a certain ring to it :D) or would we prefer Snowflake Fridays or Snowflake Saturdays to give folks the weekend to do the flake while it is fresh and new?

I like Monday's but can be flexible.

I was thinking that we might do the list update monthly rather than weekly as it does get to be a bit much to handle, but could be convinced to do otherwise... unless unforseen circs take me out of the running, I plan to be with the CAL for the year, so would be happy to initiate the thread if people were cool with that and to take on the responsibility of keeping an updated list in the initial post throughout the year (this one updated weekly as possible)...

If we have the luxury of keeping the list on page one I don't think it will matter how often it gets updated. I think it will be more important to have a new flake suggested weekly. & Update as you can.

Do we like the idea of keeping the CAL thread going all year or would we want to break the CAL into smaller threads - monthly or quarterly or somesuch?

I'm for all year. I fell behind a few times but did look forward to seeing the new flake even when I was behind. Since it's a CAL we can be a little more lax but I'd hope we all make as many as we want to with a minimum of 52 patterns to choose from.

Lastly, are we happy to include flakes that were mentioned on the 2008 thread, but that never made it onto THE LIST?

As far as I can tell there are lots of suggested patterns that we haven't done and lots more to explore along with those we haven't created yet!

I'd like to see us keep the "rules" to a minimum. If you see one you'd like to suggest then please do. No worries!

And last (for me), if it helps I'll volunteer to post right after you Wanda. That way if you have vacation plans or get busy everyone can still check the first page for links.

Just a few thoughts/questions:

We started as Snowflakes Mondays and I like it. It's something I look forward to starting my week with.

I'd like to see it run all year. Keeping the updated list in the first post would certainly be easier for newcomers to find. And us others, too, for that matter.

Yup. It's certainly okay by me.

Cheers,

Thought I'd show ya'll some of the snowflakes completed and off the pinning board.

th_MVC-031S.jpg

The above go to a Ornament exchange partner on another list. I've had them ready for a while, but couldn't post before now. Since they are now in the mail and she doesn't come here very often, I'm taking the chance to go ahead and show them.

th_MVC-032S.jpg

These are just some I've made for the fun of it. The bottom right two are from that "gang of four" Aussie flakes. I think I really needed size 20 or 30 thread.. but I still like them in 10.

th_MILAngel.jpg

Including the angel just for fun. Good story behind her. We have a big buffet or dresser with a marble top that we inherited after my MIL passed on in 2001. I use it for storing old photos and such. I was looking for a snowflake pattern book that my sister had given me years go and thought I might have stuck it in that dresser. Never did find the pattern book, but I did find a old yellowed spool of thread and inside the thread was a old, brittle, typed out pattern for a crocheted angel.

The pattern is a little difficult, but I finally managed it and the above is the result. She's only about 3" tall.

Good morning,

I am a lurker that got started really late with the snowflakes. I got 30 of them done. I do have 20 of them on my tree and I have to say they are very pretty. I will take a picture of the tree and snowflakes later and will post a pic.

So what is everyone else doing with their snowflakes?

Tammy in Ohio

Good morning,

I am a lurker that got started really late with the snowflakes. I got 30 of them done. I do have 20 of them on my tree and I have to say they are very pretty. I will take a picture of the tree and snowflakes later and will post a pic.

So what is everyone else doing with their snowflakes?

Tammy in Ohio

Hi Tammy,

It's nice to hear from you. We'll all love seeing a pic. I have gifting plans for most of mine. I like to include one in each Christmas card too. This year we're making (in the kitchen) most of our family gifts. I have an old family recipe for chocolate peanut-butter fudge and Hubby likes to make dried apple and banana slices. All the sisters and brothers will be getting a gift bag with apples, bananas, and a box of fudge. I'll be adding snowflakes to them too.

I'm lucky to be in a very creative family. My SIL makes jewelry, MIL crochets, a niece knits and makes soap, my son worked at a shop that teaches leaded glass, hubby has a wood working shop..... we all do home made gifts.

It makes Christmas and birthdays interesting.:D

Nancy and Linda, thanks for the info - I know, I tend to overthink things, but, hey, that is me :D I like to plan - I don't always follow through, but I plan! :rofl

Lisa, the flakes are gorgeous, the angel is lovely and the story behind her is priceless :manyheart...

Tammy, can't wait to see the tree picture! I have already given away most of the ones I got done this year in various swaps and to Hookerangel for her snowflake tree. I now need to get busy making some more for Christmas gifts and for my own tree!!! (I have 3 in my CAL folder that have not yet been given away...)

I love the sound of your homemade pressies, Cosmo... I always make grand plans for hand-making things for the holidays and then fall miserably short :faint... (see lead paragraph :lol)

Cheers,

Marika

Nancy and Linda, thanks for the info - I know, I tend to overthink things, but, hey, that is me :D I like to plan - I don't always follow through, but I plan! :rofl

Lisa, the flakes are gorgeous, the angel is lovely and the story behind her is priceless :manyheart...

Tammy, can't wait to see the tree picture! I have already given away most of the ones I got done this year in various swaps and to Hookerangel for her snowflake tree. I now need to get busy making some more for Christmas gifts and for my own tree!!! (I have 3 in my CAL folder that have not yet been given away...)

I love the sound of your homemade pressies, Cosmo... I always make grand plans for hand-making things for the holidays and then fall miserably short :faint... (see lead paragraph :lol)

Cheers,

Marika

Wanda,

When my kids were little I never had time to do all this stuff either. When you get to be an old fairy you'll have more time for special projects. Of course you'll wish they were little enough to want to spend time with you again!

Wanda,

When my kids were little I never had time to do all this stuff either. When you get to be an old fairy you'll have more time for special projects. Of course you'll wish they were little enough to want to spend time with you again!

VERY TRUE. We're somewhere inbetween empty nesters and boomerang parents.. and while one still lives here.. he's not too interested in hanging with mom.. LOL

Lisa,

I know how it is. :yes

We were almost dizzy from all the boomerangs! One day I said to our two boys.... "Your father and I have heard a little about this "Empty Nest Syndrome" ..... and we'd love to try it!" :rofl

Things are quiet here now, but hubby says we'll never really be safe until we change the locks ......... and sell the fridge. :laughroll

Beautiful tree and beautiful snowflakes! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa,

I know how it is. :yes

We were almost dizzy from all the boomerangs! One day I said to our two boys.... "Your father and I have heard a little about this "Empty Nest Syndrome" ..... and we'd love to try it!" :rofl

Things are quiet here now, but hubby says we'll never really be safe until we change the locks ......... and sell the fridge. :laughroll

ROFL. Right b4 Thanksgiving, my 19 (almost 20) y/o ds got "the talk" when he said I got on his nerves... (for a smart kid, sometimes he says really dumb things).

I said "Son, you are most welcome to move out at anytime, pay your own rent, buy your own food and make your own car payments". (not that we make his car payments now.. but he drives a 10 y/o car that belongs to my husband and me w/o paying us.. he does buy the gas tho) I didn't rant or rave.. said it very calmly. And left the room.

He's been very civil and almost a pleasure to be around ever since. I should've tried that speech a long time ago.

I've never tried bamboo thread. I have a few skeins of Caron's Spa in my stash. It's really soft! It's a ww and soon to be a scarf. Please let us know how the thread works once you get them starched.

Happy Crocheting,

The Aunt Lydia's bamboo starches well and looks good as a snowflake.

Look:

th_SnowflakeDesign1.jpg

However, if placed next to a snowflake made with another thread.. such as Baroque.. it looks very slightly off-color. Not even an offwhite, but ever so slightly gray.

I'm not sure that the difference will show in the pic.. but offering one for those with a discerning eye. :)

The left is Aunt Lydia's Bamboo, the right is Baroque and the patterns are almost the same. The Bamboo is just in a further stage of development.. lol

th_BambooVsBaroque.jpg

The Aunt Lydia's bamboo starches well and looks good as a snowflake.

Look:

th_SnowflakeDesign1.jpg

However, if placed next to a snowflake made with another thread.. such as Baroque.. it looks very slightly off-color. Not even an offwhite, but ever so slightly gray.

I'm not sure that the difference will show in the pic.. but offering one for those with a discerning eye. :)

The left is Aunt Lydia's Bamboo, the right is Baroque and the patterns are almost the same. The Bamboo is just in a further stage of development.. lol

th_BambooVsBaroque.jpg

Lovely flakes Lisa. I'd think the color difference won't matter unless you have two (of different threads) together. Will you be starching?

Lovely flakes Lisa. I'd think the color difference won't matter unless you have two (of different threads) together. Will you be starching?

Uh.. those are starched. At least to the best of my ability. :lol:lol:lol

Some do take starching better than others. The evil Aussie snowflake took starch well, but it took so many pins that removing them all made it floppy again.. :rofl

See my other flakes at:

http://lisaizme.blogspot.com/2008/12/snowflakes.html

Uh.. those are starched. At least to the best of my ability. :lol:lol:lol

Some do take starching better than others. The evil Aussie snowflake took starch well, but it took so many pins that removing them all made it floppy again.. :rofl

See my other flakes at:

http://lisaizme.blogspot.com/2008/12/snowflakes.html

:lol I'm sorry Lisa. I guess when I read "further stage of development" I thought they were still in progress. :embar I'll stand by my "lovely flakes" comment though. They are.

:lol I'm sorry Lisa. I guess when I read "further stage of development" I thought they were still in progress. :embar I'll stand by my "lovely flakes" comment though. They are.

No offense. I think I am developing a pattern for that snowflake (I don't THINK I've seen it elsewhere.. but who knows with all the patterns out and about) and what I meant was that every time I make it, I think of an improvement and it changes a little. :D

Two more for consideration.

th_MVC-004S-1.jpg

The above is from This drops design. A little tricky as the pattern is written in british terms and I had to constantly mentally adjust to american terms that I'm familiar with. And they call a triple a trible :lol I added the picots.

th_MVC-009S-1.jpg

This is the snowflake part from the Snowflake afghan at artoftangle.com, I just added some extended picots. Easy to make larger, just continue increasing the rounds until you're at the size you like. OR use larger thread than size 10.

Hope these inspire a little.

Archived