Mill ends???

Ok, I have a really dumb question that I have been too embarrassed :embar to ask, but here goes.

What are mill ends?

Are they the same as what you buy at the store? Is the quality the same? :shrug

I've heard mill ends referred to in posts here & have been looking at some on Ebay but do not know what they are actually.

Help!

Thank you,

Katie :hook

A mill end is the last of a run of yarn for a yarn company. When a yarn is discontinued, they don't make any guarantees but the yarn can be purchased usually in lots.

WM offers Mill ends all the time at about $5.oo/lb Cdn. The trick is that when it is gone, it is gone and you can't get more so buy all you can find or will need at one time. (IYKWIM :wlol )

Katie,

Don't feel bad, because I wondered the same thing.

Darski-What is: IYKWIM

Carol:hook

Ok, I have a really dumb question that I have been too embarrassed :embar to ask, but here goes.

What are mill ends?

Are they the same as what you buy at the store? Is the quality the same? :shrug

I've heard mill ends referred to in posts here & have been looking at some on Ebay but do not know what they are actually.

Help!

Thank you,

Katie :hook

WOW!!! Amazingly fast answers to my question.:h5 I learned two things today so far, "what are mill ends" and "IYKWIM"..I was gonna ask about that, too!

I love Crochetville.

Thanks, ladies.

Katie :hug

Mill ends can be wonderful, same quality as the regular yarn, just in shorter quantities (most people who use them learn to 'guess' what they are. But be warned, then CAN have variable quality, and places with knots or that you will have to cut out as the ply changes. If you don't mind that, they can be a great value.

i buy mill ends a lot when i find stuff i want/would use. i do see a lot of RH SS or some other acrylic of the same texture but since i only use that for a specific project i will only buy if i know where that is going. but i have found bernat cool crochet (one of my fav cheaper yarns) or other cotton blends or caron simply soft in mill ends and i buy them like they are going out of style. i have found bernat boucle and lion boucle and homespun type yarns too a lot. out of all the maybe 50 or so bags i have bought i only ever had a problem once and it was i had bought what i had assumed was simply soft and it was for the outer layer of all 3 balls in the bag but once through the top/outer layer they were more RH SS than caron simply soft. ohwell, it was a blanket and it looks the same color no biggie. but all the rest i have had a great bargain and great quality.

They are an awesome deal. The only place I can get them is online. I have purchased Caron Simply Soft on Caron's site. It is like $4 for a POUND of yarn. I had no trouble using it. It was an awesome deal. Outside of Ebay, where else online can you find mill ends?

thanks, Debbie

I have not seen millends at our WM.... Must be regional?

I have not seen millends at our WM.... Must be regional?

Maybe they only do it in Canada. i worked for WM for 15 years and never saw mill ends there.

I know that Herrschners have them sometimes, though I have never bought from them. I have thought about the Caron ones though. Maybe it is time to try them.

Archived