Afghan ideas for big hook??

I am fully aware that there are only 5 more days till Christmas :lol, but I have to try to make my brother an afghan anyway. He really wants one. I have looked at several patterns on the Lion Brand website using two or three strands and a big hook and they say they are "6 hour" patterns.

Well, I can do two strands, but not three (not enough yarn for three). I've been trying a V-stitch with two strands and an N hook and it's too stiff with not enough drape. A Q hook is too loose and floppy. Right now I'm trying out some swatches with single crochet, chain one, skip one, or the same technique with half double, with different hook sizes.

Does anyone have any good stitch pattern ideas I could try? I can't use a really closed stitch because of time constraints, but if it's too open, it won't be warm at all. I've looked through several books and will probably get Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet from the library again today, but I'm running out of time and would like to get started this morning. I couldn't start this project until I finished my mother's scarf and mittens that I mailed last night (I hope they get to Wisconsin in time!)

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas!

I love big hook afgans, even really openwork ones can be fuzzy and warm, thier fluffy and soft.

My fave, and it goes so fast is one giant granny square. Just enough open spaces to go really fast, but enough solid spots to be warm. and in a huge hook, will be done in one afternoon.

Good luck!

as I sit here reading your post I am stitching a blended rr, I started it on monday and expect to finish it today. I am using rhss and an "n" hook. It super warm and is working up very fast. This is my third one since just after thanksgiving. I have one more to do, plan to start it today and hope to get it finished by sunday. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

I did one last year that worked well. I think it was an n hook, but it is hard to remember-1 strand simply soft 1 strand caron pounder --but the stitch pattern what what I liked about it--

1 row hdc

1 row dc

1 row treble, ch 1

1 row dc

1 row hdc

I ran the same verigated throughout and changed the solid color after each repeat, which kinda gave it a look like mile a minute panels, but without the hassle of assembly--wish I had a picture it was pretty cool.

I didn't make it real big, but rather what I called a good "snuggle size" for my newlywed Dad and Stepmother. He says it is perfect and that they use it all the time.

Remember that a lot of WW acrylic yarns will soften up a lot in the wash, so even if it seems a little stiff now, it may wash up much softer and more comfy.

I've used 3 and 4 strands with a Q hook...2 would be sloppy...3 was pushing it, but that might just be my gauge. 3, I'd say would work with a P hook...if the N is too tight, why not try a P? Just a thought. The "big hook 'ghans" I've made, were mostly solid st...hdc every st, every row...but at 65 sts wide, they went fast. again, that was a Q hook though, N would probably need more per row. Then I'm liking the idea of sc, ch 1, sc...and in repeat rows, sc in the chains, chain over the sc... (moss st?) it goes a bit faster per row. and it's still solid.

hope some of this rambling helped...I think I need a nap :lol

Since I'm not good at starting an afghan without a pattern, I would like to try the sc, chain 1, sc, but how big does the starting chain need to be? Does it need to be divisible by 4 or something like that? I plan on using 2 strands with my Q hook. And I needed it like yesterday.:eek

Thanks.

If you don't have enough yarn for 3 strands (I'm assuming because of dye lots not budget), get a couple of skeins of a coordinating neutral and make a stripe or two evenly spaced at each end, or you could make a stripe with the two colors combined for a nice marled effect. Same idea if you make a giant granny square but rounds not rows.

Mom2pj, chan an even number, work on an odd number of stitches. Every other row will have 2 sc in each end, in other words a sc in the chain space and a sc in the sc in the row below (that way you don't have a chain space at the end of a row). Hope that makes sense.

Thanks so much for all the help, everyone. To Granny Square, I am using Caron Pounders in claret, navy, and white, and I have two of each color. I could unwind all the skeins and wind them up into smaller balls to give me three strands, but I'm too lazy/impatient/in a hurry for that, so I'm just pulling one strand of yarn from two skeins as I go.

I'm glad for the reminder about softening up in the wash. Does anyone know if Caron Pounders do that? I've heard that Red Heart does.

I decided to just go ahead and do sc, chain one, skip one (granite stitch? I'm not sure what it's called)--I use this stitch all the time for scarves, but I think my 11mm hook--or 11.5, not sure--is working out well so far.

I really appreciate all of you!!

You can also work from both ends at the same time. I have a number of granny square variations I have done recently that called for multiple strands and sometimes of the same color. I just worked from both ends simultaneously. :yarn NiYa

I know what you mean. Me and my sister started a simple single crochet afgan for our grandma for this christmas. Using a size Q and two strands of yarn makes it go really quickly. I have an almost completed one one I sleep under (it's not done because I keep procrastinating, plus I want it long enough for my bed) and my sister made one for our aunt in a week. So we figure with the two of use we can get it done.

She's got pictures and the pattern here - http://yarnart.50webs.com/stripedafghan.htm - if you are interested. :crocheting

The one I've almost finished is made of Caron One Pound rolls. It'll probably soften when washed, and it's pretty soft to begin with.

Archived