Heirloom Stocking

Addey

Well, Ok, maybe not heirloom as in antique, but still a family treasure. This was on the top of my box of "Christmas". My Gram made a set of stockings for the family back when I was little. This one was orignially my mom's. Mine matched, but was smaller. The boys (Dad and Jon) had matching ones that were red, white and green stripes. Gram made herself a really small striped one too.

2121347194_075e668a37.jpg?v=0

I don't have the others, Mom still does.

It was hard seeing that when I opened the box. Gram just passed away on the 28th. When I packed this box up 4 years ago when mom and I were sorting out stuff, I didn't think the first time I'd have a tree and the chance to open it would be just a few weeks after Gram passed. There were several things in there that either she made, or reminded me of her. It was sad in a happy way if that makes any sense.

Enjoy! I know I will. Now I just have to figure out how to make a half granny so I can make one for DH..... :think

How wonderful to still have that. I still have an afghan my grandmother crocheted for me as a high school graduation gift (in 1975!!), and I am SO HAPPY I never parted with it!

Your grandma (and mine) would be pleased to know you still treasure her handiwork.

That's great! I have a few afghans my grandmother made, and a few quilts. I won't use them though, I had one that got used ALOT, and it was my favorite, it came apart. Granted it was over 30 years old, and used a ton!! I cried, my grandma made it for my older brother, and when he passed away I took it. So it meant alot to me. I won't use the ones I collected up after my Aunt passed, even though I know they would want me too!

Anyway, I'm glad you pulled this out of your box of stuff, every year at Christmas you will remember your grandmother.

Thank you all. I think Gram would be surprised, but very pleased, that I still have it. I don't think she ever thought her work was 'that great'. She always claimed to be a "very good technician, but not much of an artist". This meant she followed patterns and formulas very well, but wasn't always good at seeing something new in her mind and creating it.

I have a few of her paintings as well, which make me happy. My parents have a few drawings that my brother and I did that Gram turned into needlepoint patterns. My dad likes to claim "to the best of our knowledge, one of the youngest artists to have approval rights over a limited edition reproduction of her work." (Quote from my parent's business website frenchcreekframing.com)

Thank you so much for the half granny pattern as well! I'm sure I could have figured it out, but why reinvent the wheel (or triangle in this case) if you don't have to!

Archived