my search for felting patterns to crochet

jpr54_

this was not as easy as i first thought it was going to be-

most patterns i found in stores were for knit felting-

i was also searching for the new paton's booklet called knit and crochet felting-

ac moore had a good collection of knit felting books-

the only store to carry the book was treasure island-b4 finding it this rainy saturday in northern new jersey-i went to 5 stores-rag shop, michael's, ac moore, jo-ann's, and local yarn shop.

treasure island has a large collection of paton yarns and instruction booklets-fyi

i purchased brown sheep wool from yarnware-plus a crochet felt hat pattern-

I think it's high time someone came out with a book of fulling/felting patterns for crochet. I don't know if you've seen the Pike Place Market Bag on Crochet me's site, but just thought I'd link you to that pattern in case you hadn't.Good luck on your quest!!

Maybe we should start some kind of a link here -if it is legal to do so-and if someone is willing- to take the knit patterns that someone wants and rewrite them to crochet and post them here on the boards. I for one have never been able to convert but see patterns all the time.

Elise

Keep in mind that you can adjust any crochet pattern by switching to 100% wool and adjusting the needle size. I do that with crochet bags all the time. Sometimes I use 2 strands of wool verses the 1 strand of worsted weight to achieve the size I want before felting and then calculate that it will shrink at least half the original size.

I usually work from a ASN leaflet called, "Trendsetting totes" these are done in worsted weight cotton, but I just substitute a worsted or bulky wool. My favorite is Lamb's Pride which consists of 85% wool and 15% mohair. I especially like the beaded bag.

• 3 years later...

I WOULD LOVE to see this happen! So many wonderful knit patterns I'd love to CROCHET...especiall the hats. Can someone offer help. THX so much.....blessings.

Brenda

Maybe we should start some kind of a link here -if it is legal to do so-and if someone is willing- to take the knit patterns that someone wants and rewrite them to crochet and post them here on the boards. I for one have never been able to convert but see patterns all the time.

Elise

I have this book. It has some nice patterns. On that amazon page it also shows some other books on felted crochet. Do a google search on felted crochet....there are quite a few patterns out there for crochet.

Quick question, since I am not a knitter. (and I don't even sew)

For the above pattern you increase as you go along, am I correct? That is how you get your folds on the side, right?

I really like that bag and would love to do a crochet version.

Ah, the Booga Bag! I want to make that one too! Isn't it cool? I just have to take out a second mortgage to get 3 skeins of Noro. :lol I don't see any increases in that pattern. What it looks like they're doing is making a rectangle (for the bottom of the bag) then picking up stitches along all 4 sides of the rectangle and connecting to be able to work in the round. The folds must just happen naturally. What they make for the straps can just be chains, then sl st in the chain. They aren't giving any gauge there so I can't figure out what the size might be before felting. I would start with a K hook and make a swatch, felt it, and see what I got. I'd be able to tell what the shrinkage % would be. Remember you'll need more yarn than they're listing there to crochet it vs. knit it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived