Yarn Buying Club?

AmyOH

OK, all you addicts... Whenever I've lived in small towns without a big healthfood store, we've had buying clubs and ordered our organic food directly from big distributors.

So now, I'm wondering... Has anyone tried a yarn buying club to order wholesale from manufacturers? I've looked into wholesale on my own a couple of times, but the minimums are always too high.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Amy :think

• 3 weeks later...

A few already exist. Josi -- you've probably seen her patterns in crochetme and on her site, weirdmirror -- has a yarn club here.

The problem is that most of the vendors require huge minimums, that even a group of 10 or 20 or more people may not be able to meet (for example Lion Brand requires enormous minimums, which is why the weirdmirror yarn club doesn't carry their yarns).

Yes I was :think but I allready blew it allthough it was for something my hubby has been begging me to make and guess what I still haven't started because I can't figure it out:blink

I'm on the "StashBusters Challenge" but I've been really, really good so far. I've been bookmarking like crazy but I do have to go to Michael's today for some fiberfill. This will be a real test for me!

But I have only bought one ball this month--to finish a project where I didn't have enough. Funny thing was, it started out as stashbusting! I've got so much great yarn already--its fun to visit the LYS known as my closet!

You could try this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yarncoopIf you do, read the facts in the files section. If you have any questions, ask away or you can pm me here. The only extra cost is $1 per order for the person reshipping to those who have ordered. Also, you may have to pay your share of shipping to the redistributor (a group member) and then again from that person to you. But usually the yarn discounts are great enough to offset this. One of the orders was shipped free to the redistributor because the minimum order was met, but of course everyone still had to pay from that lady's house to their own.

Just call me a 'yarn enabler',

Carol:yay

Ack! I'll have to remember these clubs once I'm set up in Texas. I'm not on the stash busting challenge, but I am trying to reduce my stash before I move back to the states! Less shipping. :)

I'm already starting to worry about what to pack in the suitcase so I'll have something to do while I wait for everything to arrive. I have a feeling I'll be so busy visiting and getting to know my fiance again ;) that I won't really have too much extra time though. :D

Archived