Crochet Companion

I'm all by my lonesome with crocheting except when I sit at the computer. This is great company for me- Crochetville. I can crochet when I want and get my fix on days I'm too tired to pick up the hook. This site and others do it for me. At this point I'm spoiled.:hook

ALL By myself.... don't want to be ALL by myself.....

Since I moved here to Rochester. it's just me. My mom knits ,but she lives in Atlanta. I used to have a friend At Disney where I used to work prior to moving here that crochet. We would sit and chat and share patterns.I miss that.

My Husband is very very supportive. He will talk about patterns with me and has even designd a few graphs on the computer for me to make, and go shopping for yarn with me (yes I am very spoiled), but he has neropathy in his hands and would not be able to crochet.

I enjoy coming here for the comfort of knowing if I have a problem I could ask.

I crochet alone, have taught a few people, but it is my RELAXATION, truley there is somthing cathartic about it for me. And I LOVE it when hubby says "what you working on now" and I reply, "isnt there a game on??? "LOL>.....

Like men have sports, women have their needle work!

That's me too except the dogs keep me company on the sofa.

I was releived one night when he sheepishly said, "I'm sorry Honey, but crocheting is just not my thing." Now he does plastic canvas stuff.

My DH does cross stitch. when he has the time. Lately he's been gone ~70 hours/week. So if there's a game on, or something, he watches, I stitch. It's very companionable, I love it. Sometimes we talk, while I :hook. But we both get to relax, and he gets to admire (which he freely and honestly does) what I make. He says he's amazed what I can do with a hook and yarn. So it works for us. And since he has a good instinct for color, I still get to "talk crochet" with him. :)

(I'd still like to find a few others to st with sometimes...like on the Wed night things our church does a couple times a month. But the only other crocheters seem to be the very seniors who don't come out Wed night, I only see them Sun morning... I did teach the Gems once though I don't think any of them "took" to it.)

So if there's a game on, or something, he watches, I stitch. It's very companionable, I love it. Sometimes we talk, while I :hook. But we both get to relax, and he gets to admire (which he freely and honestly does) what I make. He says he's amazed what I can do with a hook and yarn. So it works for us. And since he has a good instinct for color, I still get to "talk crochet" with him. :)

THis is my house. DH and I watch tv every night together. I can't remember the last time we did and I wasn't crocheting....:D He goes with me to the LYS and he helps me with yarn selections. He has no desire in learning but he does have an interest in what I do. I tried to teach DD but she can't catch on and my DS wants to learn. His dad thinks its a "girl-thing" so I am nervious about teaching him for fear that his dad will ridicule him (please do not touch this one). When I go to my mom's house I bring my bag and we sit and crochet together and talk ~ crochet, kids, life. It's nice but we don't get to do it often enough.

The only people I know who crochet are a few ladies at work who I taught or re-introduced to crochet. We can't crochet at work, obviously, but we do talk about our projects.

My DH doesn't craft but he makes music, so we can have lots of conversations about how I search for the perfect yarn and he searches for the perfect record. So even though its a totally different hobby, we understand each other's obsessions.

My husband asked me to teach him to crochet. He thought it would be great to do this together, since I was sitting every night in front of the tv, hook in hand. A sweet gesture. Well, he's left-handed, I am not. So it was tougher than I thought it would be. He holds the hook totally wrong (to my mind, anyway.) and he crochets way to tightly. All this drives me nuts. He was constantly interupting my crochet flow to ask me how to do stuff.

I was releived one night when he sheepishly said, "I'm sorry Honey, but crocheting is just not my thing." Now he does plastic canvas stuff.

Since your husband is left handed, get a mirror and put it in front of both of you and have your husband watch you crochet whatever he is trying to learn from you. Then he will get it. As for him crocheting way to tight tell him to get a crochet hook 1 or 2 sizes up and his stitches willl be even and better looking and not so tight.

As for my husband crocheting, I have tried to get him to crochet cause he is very interesting in me crocheting , he even comes up with the craziest:lol name for crochet stitches. He does love to go yarn shopping with me and picks out some colors etc.

maybe someday he will want to learn to crochet.

One of my sisters and my mum are interested in what I do. They can both knit, but not crochet, and neither of them actually do any knitting anymore!

I was ecstatic when I found a knitting group some months ago, after TWO YEARS of persistent searching, finally found one that had just started. So it does pay to keep looking. Like most groups, this one is more than happy for me to sit and crochet, and one of the ladies running the group also knows crochet and is so happy to have me as her "crochet buddy"!

I don't drive either, and a hint for those of you that raised this as a problem. I have always found that if you can manage by hook or by crook (oops, bad pun there!) to get yourself to the first 2 or 3 meetings, you're almost certainly find someone who is willing to run you there and back, or pick you up somewhere along the way. We're a friendly bunch, us crafters :)

Archived